• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm in LOVE!!!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:13 AM
  • 5 Replies

DH and I went to an appliance store last night called, East Coast Appliance.  We're in the market for a new refrigerator.  Our's is an ancient Kenmore that is pretty disgusting and periodically makes strange noises. 
So, we went to the sratch and dent section and found a GE Profile Stainless Counter Depth Side by Side that we MUST have.  Of course, being scratch and dent, it was a fraction of the original cost.
The original price tag was $3099, WAAAAAAAY over our price range.  The scratch and dent price was $2599, still WAAAAAAY over our price range.  Get this though, it was inventory they've had for a LOOOONG time and need gone, so it was on a MASSIVE sale.  The sale price was $961!!!! 
We asked the salesman what was wrong with it.  He asked what we meant and we pointed out the original price and the sale price.  He looked over the whole thing, very closely (spent about 30 minutes doing this), come to find out, there are a couple cosmetic creases on the back (big deal) and its missing the ice maker.
He said, "Honestly folks, I think it was  pricing error, but that's not my problem or your's."  LOL  So, we put down a deposit on the fridge, to hold the sale price, as the sale ends today, and will pay the remaining balance when our tax return is deposited on Friday.  He is ordering the ice maker and water filter (the water filter was missing as well) and will have those installed prior to delivery. 
On EVERYTHING, the fridge, ice maker, installation of ice maker, water line for ice maker, 5 year extended parts and labor warranty, delivery and haul away, we wpent $1350, just $50 over what we'd budgeted originally for the fridge alone.  We thought we wouldn't even be able to afford an extended warranty.  I am TOTALLY stoked and can NOT wait to get my new fridge. 
This is sooooo much fancier and has sooooo many more gadgets than anything we could have afforded.  I'm THRILLED.  The ONLY noticeable cosmetic flaw is a SMALL pebble sized dent below the through the door ice and water dispenser, but with a 19 month old in the house, I wasn't too worried about that.  I much rather have this fridge with a small cosmetic flaw than to max out my budget on something I merely tolerate that is in absolute perfect cosmetic condition.

Amanda~Cloth Diapering, Non-Spanking, Attached Mommy to my little miracle, Landon Joel, born 6 weeks too soon, 6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, coolest kid on the block!

Then                                           Now

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
stuckinamess
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:15 AM

What an awesome deal! If your house is anything like mine, that small flaw will the the least of the problems with the kids lol...Enjoy!

Tracie
Wife to Khari
Mom to...
Kyra 9
Justice 5
4 Fur Babies...
Taylor, Max, Cleo & Tag

bcarmona
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:17 AM

I love it when I find good deals like that! It's like Christmas all over again :) Congrats on the great find, what a blessing!

milmiracle
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:17 AM

That's too smart shopping for me, I should be so dam smart.  LOL.  Good luck w/ your fridge and enjoy it. 

mom2ljh
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:37 AM

LOL  This is, by far, my best find ever.  ALL of my appliances have either been scratch and dent or floor models.  My washing machine and dishwasher were both floor models, so I got a $600 washer for about $400 and a $600 dishwasher for about $300.  My dryer was purchased from a private seller who refurbed it himself, and I spent $50 on it, LOL.  This fridge though, is definitely my best find ever.  I'm a total fan of scratch and dent, especially at this particular store where MOST of their scratch and dent items have minor flaws.  (There were some pretty bad ones that I was shocked they were even selling, LOL but most weren't bad.)

Quoting milmiracle:

That's too smart shopping for me, I should be so dam smart.  LOL.  Good luck w/ your fridge and enjoy it. 

Amanda~Cloth Diapering, Non-Spanking, Attached Mommy to my little miracle, Landon Joel, born 6 weeks too soon, 6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, coolest kid on the block!

Then                                           Now

JMVITT
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:55 AM

I hope I can find a deal like that on a washer and dryer set!  I walked into Vans last fall and was instantly in love with this set...of course it was $3000 for the set but maybe with the scratch and dent I could get a much better deal.

Congrats to you and as someone else said, a tiny ding is the least of your worries with a toddler. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)