Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'd like your opinion about a house.

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:31 AM
  • 30 Replies

Poll

Question: If you had to move tomorrow, which would you choose?

Options:

Dump in a nice location

Awesome house in a not-so-nice location

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 101

View Results

So we absolutely have to get the farkbot out of this house.  We've been having trouble with our neighbors, and I value harmony very much.  It's also a little dangerous.  They have a very mean and aggressive pit bull that has already attacked my dog once (he wasn't hurt, thank goodness.  I happened to be standing there with the door open when it happened, so he was able to dart inside before anything really bad happened.)  We're giving ourselves until March to find a place, but we went and looked at a house this weekend that is absolutely perfect.  It's big, beautiful, bright and sunny.  Tons of space, lots of storage, a nice big yard, and the rent is the same as we're paying now.  But it's right off the interstate in a not-so-nice side of town.

As I'm looking around, it seems that in our price range, we're looking at either a dump in a great location, or a great house in a bad location.  Which would you choose?  I'm right now living in a dump in a great location. 

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TJP_ASP_MOMMY
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:33 AM

I want my kids growing up in a nice location, so I would choose the dump. You can always fix it up as time goes on.

My name is Nicole and I'm A 24 Year Old Unmarried, Agnostic, Obama supporting, Non-smoking, Pro-choice, Circumcising, Formula-Feeding, Vaccine Giving, Disposable Diapering,  Non Co-Sleeping, CIO, Belly Sleeping, Semi-Strict Disciplining, Book Reading, Public Schooling, Gun Hating, Playing Outside Daily Rain Or Shine, Former Teen, SAH Mommy Of Two & Damn Proud Of It! myspace.com/mommyoftwo2584

*^* If there is a God who will damn his children forever, I would rather go to hell than to go to heaven and keep the society of such an infamous tyrant. *^*  Robert G. Ingersoll

Mommie_of_5
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:34 AM

i have kids and the location really matters to us casue there are drug dealers and pedofiles and im not takeing that chance .. so id rather live in a good location and try to fix it up and make it nice .. GL ive been in your shoes and its sucks

pam228
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:35 AM

i would choose the dump in a nice location,you can always fix up a house--you can't fix up a bad location.

michellekp
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:38 AM

I would say if your renting, pick the nicer house.  The chance your going to be able to do with the house as you want is slim.  Most landlords are hesitant to let you fix up a house you don't own.

If your buying, its all about LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!  you can always fix it up if you own it

stuckinamess
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:38 AM

I would say dump in a nice location. In the bad side of town, schools probablyl aren't going to be very good. I guess I would need clarification on what you mean by dump also...

Tracie
Wife to Khari
Mom to...
Kyra 9
Justice 5
4 Fur Babies...
Taylor, Max, Cleo & Tag

Seanswife05
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:39 AM

We are actually looking to buy a house right now. We've been looking a houses every couple of days for almost 2 weeks. We had a couple we liked that were not in such good areas and on the side of town we didn't really want to live in. We loved the houses but not the location. We drove through the neighborhood a few times during the day, and at night. Then we went and talked to the neighbors about the area. From what we saw and heard we decided not to try and buy one of those houses since location is something you can't change. We've narrowed it down to 2 other houses on the side of town we wanted that need a little more work. Maybe talk to the landlord about the one in the part of town you'd like to live in, and maybe they will knock some off the rent if you do work to the house. I'd rather live somewhere that needed work than in a bad part of town.

MommyOnLI
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:39 AM

since you are renting.. do you plan or can you fix the house up?

i know when buying the rule of thumb is dump in good location will maintain its value and fixing it will increase.

but i have never rented a home before so i dont know if you can fix up places

zillionaire
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Here are the two extremes so far:  One house is absolutely the house of my dreams.  It has a 3 room finished attic, full basement plus storage outside.  The kitchen is big, bright, with all brand new appliances.  There's a sunroom off the kitchen.  Huge living room, dining room, big bedrooms.  The living room has a working fireplace.  It's quaint and quirky and has me written all over it.  But you can see and hear the interstate.  It's on a private road, but 4 miles down the road is a liquor store and a $30/night motel.  My SO would be about 10 min. from work.  They have a shop 3 miles away, and it got broken into last week.

The other place, for the same price, is down a quiet country road.  It has a huge wooded yard with 150 acres of woods behind it.  It's in a very desirable location, about 10 miles from a very quaint downtown area.  But the house makes our current house look like a palace.  The rooms are tiny, and there are about 20 coats of paint on the walls, so there's probably some lead in there somewhere.  I don't think our furniture would even fit in there.

mommy2-3kiddos
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:58 AM

As I told my dh when we were house shopping....I can paint, I can redo a kitchen, I can clean, I can garden....I can't pick up a house & move it.  Location is everything IMO.

mommy2-3kiddos
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:00 AM

If the house is really in that bad of shape & they're willing to put some of their own money & their own time into it most landlords won't object.  It can only help them in the long run.  I'd just be upfront about what you would like to do....

Quoting michellekp:

I would say if your renting, pick the nicer house.  The chance your going to be able to do with the house as you want is slim.  Most landlords are hesitant to let you fix up a house you don't own.

If your buying, its all about LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!  you can always fix it up if you own it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)