Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

when your stomach tighetens up while pregnant

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:37 AM
  • 19 Replies

and cramps at the same time, is that considered braxton hicks or not, cause i thought those just tighten but dont cramp or hurt.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TJP_ASP_MOMMY
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Technically by definition they arent supposed to hurt.,...but they always did for me.

My name is Nicole and I'm A 24 Year Old Unmarried, Agnostic, Obama supporting, Non-smoking, Pro-choice, Circumcising, Formula-Feeding, Vaccine Giving, Disposable Diapering,  Non Co-Sleeping, CIO, Belly Sleeping, Semi-Strict Disciplining, Book Reading, Public Schooling, Gun Hating, Playing Outside Daily Rain Or Shine, Former Teen, SAH Mommy Of Two & Damn Proud Of It! myspace.com/mommyoftwo2584

*^* If there is a God who will damn his children forever, I would rather go to hell than to go to heaven and keep the society of such an infamous tyrant. *^*  Robert G. Ingersoll

missmandalea
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:40 AM

same here

Quoting TJP_ASP_MOMMY:

Technically by definition they arent supposed to hurt.,...but they always did for me.

Visit my blog! 

I am Amanda, wifey to Chris and mother to Lance. I am a best friend, sister, and confidant. I am a daughter, grandaughter, neice and aunt. I love life, I love heels, and I love energy drinks!

Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Could be actual contractions, my contractions were a tightening and cramping.  But, I never had braxton hicks contractions--atleast none I could feel.

1471640_1230664228_med-1.gif picture by jdavis2

luvmybaby430
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:41 AM

i hope not, i am only 32 weeks, i got atleast 8 more to go. yikes.

Quoting Kellileanne:

Could be actual contractions, my contractions were a tightening and cramping.  But, I never had braxton hicks contractions--atleast none I could feel.

bcarmona
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:42 AM

My braxton hicks never hurt, I only got the uncomfortable feeling from the tightness.  But my doctor did say that sometimes they can, because she had experienced it with her pregnancies.   We did have to go to the hospital one night though because I thought I was in labor (because of contracting and cramping also) but it turned out to be a false alarm.  2 weeks later I delivered. 

sam12796
by Sandy on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:44 AM

yes they can hurt sometimes. If they go away when you move positions or walk ect..then they are braxton hicks..However if they are really bad go to get it checked out reguardless..

luvmybaby430
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:47 AM

thanks so much, yeah it only lasted a min if that. and sometimes i think it is the baby moving cause sometimes my stomach gets really tight and i cant breath and my heart beats fast and then i look at my stomach and it is really lop sided and tight.

Quoting sam12796:

yes they can hurt sometimes. If they go away when you move positions or walk ect..then they are braxton hicks..However if they are really bad go to get it checked out reguardless..

Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Just keep track of them.  If you are having more than 5 or 6 an hour call your dr (that's what they told me at 32 weeks when I was dehydrated from a stomach virus and was having contractions but didn't know it).  It's probably just braxton hicks though but it's a good idea to keep track.  Oh, and I delivered at 37w 1d by induction.

Quoting luvmybaby430:

Quoting Kellileanne:

1471640_1230664228_med-1.gif picture by jdavis2

luvmybaby430
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:52 PM

thank you so much, i will keep up with them, i hope i dont have her early, but i still feel like as of today that i am further along then i am, but the doc keeps saying i am not and that i am measuring just right,

me and my husband had been trying for almost a year, and in may i never even had a period and june i bled for a day and in july found out i was pregnant. so i always keep thinking what heppend in may, why i never had a period, you know, so if i have this baby in say feb or early march, maybe i was further along, i dont know, but i am not due until the end of march

thank you again.

Quoting Kellileanne:

Just keep track of them.  If you are having more than 5 or 6 an hour call your dr (that's what they told me at 32 weeks when I was dehydrated from a stomach virus and was having contractions but didn't know it).  It's probably just braxton hicks though but it's a good idea to keep track.  Oh, and I delivered at 37w 1d by induction.

Quoting luvmybaby430:

Quoting Kellileanne:

LEJOLIE
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:00 PM

YEP THOSE ARE CONTRACTIONS .EVEN IF THEY DONT HURT .if they were to hook you up to the machine it would def pick /them up...I had this so much w/ my last.You have to tell your ob on the next visit cause remember w/each contraction your cervix thins out.  I HAD NOTHING holding up my last,  That was obs words lol  .there IS ABSOULUTLY NOTHING HOLDING THIS KID UP,!   ONE push and he s!OUT   I was given turbertine shots to stop the contractions cause i was still not due,, just bring it up to the Dr.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)