Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A ?? for pit bull owners (no drama, I promise)

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:43 AM
  • 39 Replies

I have nothing against pit bulls, I swear.  I've been around them in the past, and they seemed like sweet dogs.  I love all animals, especially dogs.  But when you have pit bull + aggressive, I get a little extra nervous.

Our neighbors have one that is very aggressive.  He's attacked our dog (sheer luck that he wasn't hurt... I happened to be standing there with the door open when it happened and my dog was able to dart into the house.)  He's quite scary... if you walk out of our house, or drive up the driveway past where he is kenneled, he starts spinning and twirling on his chain.  He practically ripped his ear off to get loose one time when they first moved in. 

Here's my question.  If you have a pit bull, do you have to make sure the dog exercises his mouth, and how do you do it?  So the dog's owner takes him out to the front yard from time to time and ties him to branch up in a tree.  The dog chomps down on the rope and 'swings'.  We've driven past, and the dog is hanging there, thrashing around.  It's a little disturbing.  My SO asked the dog's owner about this (actually, he thought the dog had hung itself and stopped to help), and he said that pit bulls have to exercise their aws, and that the way to do it was to let them chomp on a rope like that and swing around.  The dog has plenty of rope... he's not actually hanging there. (Although he has snapped the rope a couple of times and gotten free... but that's a whole differant story.)

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TJP_ASP_MOMMY
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:45 AM

I dont have any pitbull but that seems really disturbing. Im sure there are other ways to excersize their jaws...why do their joaws need to be exercised anyway?

My name is Nicole and I'm A 24 Year Old Unmarried, Agnostic, Obama supporting, Non-smoking, Pro-choice, Circumcising, Formula-Feeding, Vaccine Giving, Disposable Diapering,  Non Co-Sleeping, CIO, Belly Sleeping, Semi-Strict Disciplining, Book Reading, Public Schooling, Gun Hating, Playing Outside Daily Rain Or Shine, Former Teen, SAH Mommy Of Two & Damn Proud Of It! myspace.com/mommyoftwo2584

*^* If there is a God who will damn his children forever, I would rather go to hell than to go to heaven and keep the society of such an infamous tyrant. *^*  Robert G. Ingersoll

Heather0816
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:45 AM

In all honesty the only time I have ever seem that is when they were being trained to fight. Whether or not it is now and instinct in some bloodlines, I'm not sure.

sheen_21
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:46 AM

I have a pit bull and have never heard anything about excersing their jaw!

jillbailey26
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:46 AM

People will hang a rope or a tire or whatever else they can find that's strong and then the dog jumps up and hangs on.  Then the dog will twirl his body sort of in circles.  Just like your neighbor is doing.  As long as the guy isn't hanging him up and making the dog do it, it's fine.

~Jill~

jillbailey26
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:48 AM

My friends used to do it with theirs and they weren't training them to fight.  It's a form of exercise, not just for the jaw, but the rest of the body too, because they swing around.

Quoting Heather0816:

In all honesty the only time I have ever seem that is when they were being trained to fight. Whether or not it is now and instinct in some bloodlines, I'm not sure.

~Jill~

sunshinemommy08
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:49 AM

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! You don't have to "exercise their jaws". That guy should be reported! He's obviously mistreating this dog! Poor thing.

Edit* The thing that's really getting to me is that this dog is showing signs of aggression. Which means he's most likely being abused. If I were you I'd call someone to check it out.

Are you due in September 2009? That join my group: Due in September 2009

MorganRaesMom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:49 AM

My mom has a pitbull and it's the greatest dog, excellent around children and other animals, very gentle and lovable. She had her for about 4 years now and never heard of having to exercise their jaws, that's just odd and kinda disturbing.

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

kscwrcsmom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Lol, my tea cup poodle did this too. You outta see a 9 oz dog do it. Its fine as long as he isnt hurting himself. But I would ask the neighbors to just hang a rope up and CHAIN him to the tree. I would not want any kind of aggressive dog not to be totally secure!

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to died for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldiers

One died for your soul and the other for your freedom.

prestonjohn
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:52 AM

They dont need to exercise there jaws,,he is full of it,,its more for playing that he is swinging like that, its done with little dogs to, they grab on and hold on as you spin with them and stuff,,its for fun..

Heather0816
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Quoting jillbailey26:

My friends used to do it with theirs and they weren't training them to fight.  It's a form of exercise, not just for the jaw, but the rest of the body too, because they swing around.

Quoting Heather0816:

In all honesty the only time I have ever seen that is when they were being trained to fight. Whether or not it is now and instinct in some bloodlines, I'm not sure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)