Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question...PLZ LOOK

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:48 AM
  • 13 Replies

Ok, I have a fairly simple question. Is a house that sits on pier and beam instead of a slab a bad thing? I'm just curious what the pros and cons are to this. We looked at a house yesterday that sits on pier and beam.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TJP_ASP_MOMMY
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:50 AM

I dont know but a slab would sound better to me LOL. Here is a bump.

My name is Nicole and I'm A 24 Year Old Unmarried, Agnostic, Obama supporting, Non-smoking, Pro-choice, Circumcising, Formula-Feeding, Vaccine Giving, Disposable Diapering,  Non Co-Sleeping, CIO, Belly Sleeping, Semi-Strict Disciplining, Book Reading, Public Schooling, Gun Hating, Playing Outside Daily Rain Or Shine, Former Teen, SAH Mommy Of Two & Damn Proud Of It! myspace.com/mommyoftwo2584

*^* If there is a God who will damn his children forever, I would rather go to hell than to go to heaven and keep the society of such an infamous tyrant. *^*  Robert G. Ingersoll

lisa9094
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:50 AM

What does the pier and beam sit on?

prestonjohn
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Is it a stick built house or a doublewide?

pam228
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:54 AM

the slab would be more stable,depending where you are. we are in ny there's no difference. if i lived near hurricanes and earthquakes i would go with the slab!!!!

briana_paige
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Its not a doublewide. Here is a picture of it. Dont mind the disgusting yard. I would fix that.

and here is the side view

Quoting prestonjohn:

Is it a stick built house or a doublewide?

prestonjohn
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:57 AM

is it a slab like the house is built on the slab so it is your floor?

briana_paige
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Well the house is on the lake and we live in Louisiana. Northern Louisiana though. We just get severe storms and sometimes the lower winds off of the hurricanes.

Quoting pam228:

the slab would be more stable,depending where you are. we are in ny there's no difference. if i lived near hurricanes and earthquakes i would go with the slab!!!!

prestonjohn
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:58 AM

we have a construction business so i had asked my hubby,,he said both are fine BUT with the piers and beams if you ever want to add a basement you could but with a slab your stuck

briana_paige
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:00 AM

O ok. That would be something I would want to do. Does not having a slab decrease the value of the home or anything?

Quoting prestonjohn:

we have a construction business so i had asked my hubby,,he said both are fine BUT with the piers and beams if you ever want to add a basement you could but with a slab your stuck

prestonjohn
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:00 AM

ok he said since you live where there is high winds and water he would prefer the piers but make sure you have good skirting around the house to keep out wind, so the house isnt lifted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)