Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone ever rent out a room in their house? PIOG

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:55 AM
  • 11 Replies

Dh and I really need to bring in some extra cash and we were considering renting out a room in our house. The way our house is set up is that the master bedroom and bathroom are on the first floor along with the livingroom and kitchen. Upstairs there is my DD's playroom, another full bathroom, DD's bedroom and an empty bedroom. DH and I were thinking we could move our bedroom upstairs to the empty room and try to rent out the master bedroom and bath. We absolutely will not just rent out the bedroom upstairs because I don't want someone of nonrelation slleping that close to my DD or using her bathroom. Well my questions are #1 is it wrong to rent a room to a stranger when we have a 2 year old DD? #2 how much rent is appropraite to ask for? #3 should we provide a bedroom furniture and a TV  in the rented room? I know of course that we should ask for some references and really check out possibe renters and that we need to get a legit contract, is there anything else we should know? Also is this just a crappy idea all together (I'm not completely sold on the idea yet) and should we scrap it?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama2jarednrae
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:59 AM

I don't think I could do it w/ kids still in the house....There are a lot of crazy people out there just dying for a break like that...
But thats just me!

MommyOnLI
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:00 AM

i would NEVER rent a room to a stranger when their are kids involved and IDK how old the kids are....

and think about it.. you will be sharing your living quarters with someone...

do you intend to lock everything up? bolt everything down, start labeling food, cups, plates etc.

even if you had the person checked out... doesnt mean they are good ppl... references can come from friends and family who will ALWAYS vouch for you.  background checks can be pricey if you want all 50 states and detailed.

i would scrap the idea.. think about it in its entirety.. your not just renting a room, your renting YOUR shared living space

Codysmom22908
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:02 AM

We rented our spare bedroom to a friend of ours for 2 years until our son got big enough to need his own room. Our son is 11 months old and after Christmas he just had too much stuff and needed his own room! LOL!

I would just be very careful to who you rent to. We asked for $300 a month, that pretty much paid for food for a month. He had his own furniture and stuff.

Good luck!!

happy halloweencornucopiawreathhappy new year 2009

My Leap Year Baby's 1st holidays!!!

linda4
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:06 AM

I can't say that I have rented out a bedroom but we have rented our Motor Home to someone. I really don't think I would or could rent a bedroom to a stranger especially with little ones still at home. I would be thinking of another way to get money in to the house like maybe babysitting on the side or something like that.

MommyOnLI
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:16 AM

what about if she needs to go to the bathroom and her DD is playing.. it only takes a second to hurt a child. what about when you are sleeping, and your child is sleeping... i would never put my child at risk like that... yes my child can be abducted in the middle of night, run over by a car,. but why make it easier for a stranger to do such a thing.. its like putting a sign on my childs head... hurt my child. 

Also, background checks are not 100% accurate unless you use a detailed one and those can cost a few thousand dollars.

renting to a stranger (to another poster) is different than renting to someone you know

Quoting coffeeluvnmom3:

I don't see anything wrong with it, I am sure you are obviously not going to leave your baby alone with the person and do a background check.....not everyone is bad out there...

zellie399
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:20 AM

When my oldest was 2 years old we rent out a room to a girl, (stranger) and let me just say it didn't work out at all... I would never do that again, I would rather take a second job part time then put myself through that, or my family for that matter, again.... But it is your choice, hope it all works out for you....

TJP_ASP_MOMMY
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Quoting mama2jarednrae:

I don't think I could do it w/ kids still in the house....There are a lot of crazy people out there just dying for a break like that...
But thats just me!

My name is Nicole and I'm A 24 Year Old Unmarried, Agnostic, Obama supporting, Non-smoking, Pro-choice, Circumcising, Formula-Feeding, Vaccine Giving, Disposable Diapering,  Non Co-Sleeping, CIO, Belly Sleeping, Semi-Strict Disciplining, Book Reading, Public Schooling, Gun Hating, Playing Outside Daily Rain Or Shine, Former Teen, SAH Mommy Of Two & Damn Proud Of It! myspace.com/mommyoftwo2584

*^* If there is a God who will damn his children forever, I would rather go to hell than to go to heaven and keep the society of such an infamous tyrant. *^*  Robert G. Ingersoll

Mom2LiamNMolly
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:25 AM

I couldn't do it... we have been looking at a house to rent and it's 5 stories and the basement is an apartments rented for a year to a really nice lady... DH and I have talked back and forth and it's just not safe, in our opinion, for our kids to have a stranger around... because even she is nice, what about her friends and so on???

motherhood-quote21

Stefanie - Mommy to Liam Patrick 07/07 (IUGR) and Molly Kate 06/08 (IUGR, Pre-Natal Stroke, Developmental Delays, and Failure to Thrive) and Wife to Mark since 2/17/2006

zellie399
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:29 AM

I agree with you 100% on the highlighted part, If I knew back then what I know now, I would have never even considered letting that girl move in... and you are right, background checks isn't full prove, I did it myself and it was all perfect till I found out who the real person was... Nothing happened like in your first paragraph to our family but it might as well could have, she was one crazy person and I wish I never let her even in my house... I agree with you 100% on everything, in today's world you can really trust no one only the ones you really know well.....

Quoting MommyOnLI:

what about if she needs to go to the bathroom and her DD is playing.. it only takes a second to hurt a child. what about when you are sleeping, and your child is sleeping... i would never put my child at risk like that... yes my child can be abducted in the middle of night, run over by a car,. but why make it easier for a stranger to do such a thing.. its like putting a sign on my childs head... hurt my child. 

Also, background checks are not 100% accurate unless you use a detailed one and those can cost a few thousand dollars.

renting to a stranger (to another poster) is different than renting to someone you know

Quoting coffeeluvnmom3:

I don't see anything wrong with it, I am sure you are obviously not going to leave your baby alone with the person and do a background check.....not everyone is bad out there...

JanieR
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:31 AM

No, No and No.   My friends have tried that several times and it has backfired.   Ended up they got screwed and once the people have been there for a period of time, if there is a problem, they can call the cops and legally stay there.   It's a real mess.  Just from my friend's experience, can't say that for all people.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)