• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cusive writing is dying a digital death

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:02 AM
  • 16 Replies

Is cursive writing really necessary anymore?  Since everything is pretty much dealing with electronics, do you see it important to continue to teach cursive?  We have done away (almost completely) with checks, and hardly anyone has to write much of anything anymore.  So what do you think?  Should there be much emphasis on cursive writing anymore?  Do you think we are "dumbing down" our children by not teaching them cursive? 

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sparkyskitten
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:04 AM

your dumbing down kids by not teaching.. What would happen if something happen to the computers?? Oh I can't write, you will look stupid just like normal adults that need a calculator to do simple math...

expecting boyMarch 2009. We already have a great toddler girl July 2006.

Don't complain about life if you're not willing to get off your ass and do something to change it.

Group Admin Breastfeeding Moms Uncensored

MommyOnLI
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:07 AM

cursive writing is still needed for legal documents, its your identity signiture.  yes anyone can copy it, but would want to PRINT your name on your deed to your house so that anyone can copy it and transfer it to someone else?

for those few stores who still check the signatures on the back of your CC if it was stolen and you didnt know it, would want someone maxing it out, bc your signature was print?

i know i dont...

bcarmona

They would still be able to write, just not in cursive.  How many people still continue to write in cursive now-a-days when taking notes, or jotting anything down?

TJP_ASP_MOMMY

I think it should definitly be taught still. Just because we have modern conveiniences doesnt me that we need to dumb down the teaching.

My name is Nicole and I'm A 24 Year Old Unmarried, Agnostic, Obama supporting, Non-smoking, Pro-choice, Circumcising, Formula-Feeding, Vaccine Giving, Disposable Diapering,  Non Co-Sleeping, CIO, Belly Sleeping, Semi-Strict Disciplining, Book Reading, Public Schooling, Gun Hating, Playing Outside Daily Rain Or Shine, Former Teen, SAH Mommy Of Two & Damn Proud Of It! myspace.com/mommyoftwo2584

*^* If there is a God who will damn his children forever, I would rather go to hell than to go to heaven and keep the society of such an infamous tyrant. *^*  Robert G. Ingersoll

TJP_ASP_MOMMY
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:08 AM

I always write in cursive, its neater.

Quoting bcarmona:

They would still be able to write, just not in cursive.  How many people still continue to write in cursive now-a-days when taking notes, or jotting anything down?

My name is Nicole and I'm A 24 Year Old Unmarried, Agnostic, Obama supporting, Non-smoking, Pro-choice, Circumcising, Formula-Feeding, Vaccine Giving, Disposable Diapering,  Non Co-Sleeping, CIO, Belly Sleeping, Semi-Strict Disciplining, Book Reading, Public Schooling, Gun Hating, Playing Outside Daily Rain Or Shine, Former Teen, SAH Mommy Of Two & Damn Proud Of It! myspace.com/mommyoftwo2584

*^* If there is a God who will damn his children forever, I would rather go to hell than to go to heaven and keep the society of such an infamous tyrant. *^*  Robert G. Ingersoll

bcarmona
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:09 AM

I do believe everyone should sign their name in cursive, it's a "signature" and a way to make it your own for the exact reason why you said.  But sadly, I see that as the only time most people ever use cursive writing.

Quoting MommyOnLI:

cursive writing is still needed for legal documents, its your identity signiture.  yes anyone can copy it, but would want to PRINT your name on your deed to your house so that anyone can copy it and transfer it to someone else?

for those few stores who still check the signatures on the back of your CC if it was stolen and you didnt know it, would want someone maxing it out, bc your signature was print?

i know i dont...

bcarmona
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:10 AM

I think it looks nice when people have really practiced it!  I kind of write an "inbetween" of cursive and printing, lol 

Quoting TJP_ASP_MOMMY:

CeceliaMom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:10 AM

We still need to teach our children cursive writing.  So many things are becoming a lost art that we used to take for granted.  I work in the youth services department at our local public library.  Because of the technological age we live in, books aren't being check out as much,and we are having to drastically cut back on books being ordered,and also get rid of books to make room for more computers.  CRAZY in my opinion.  They even have suggested we get rid of the Worldbook Encyclopedia set!   Some kids that come into the children's department don't even know what the encyclopedia is anymore.  They don't know how to pick up a book and look something up, they are too used to pressing keys on a keyboard an it popping up on the computer screen.  I feel like we are greatly handicapping them.  One of my pet peeves is people who only have cell phones, if you don't have their phone number, you are pretty much out of luck if you need to make an emergency contact with them.  Just my thoughts, :).

TJP_ASP_MOMMY
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Yea also I think that cursive you write quicker.

Quoting bcarmona:

I think it looks nice when people have really practiced it!  I kind of write an "inbetween" of cursive and printing, lol 

Quoting TJP_ASP_MOMMY:

MommyOnLI
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:12 AM

so then why do you think we should dumb it down?  there will ALWAYS be a need for cursive writing.  so i guess i am confused now on your question

Quoting bcarmona:

I do believe everyone should sign their name in cursive, it's a "signature" and a way to make it your own for the exact reason why you said.  But sadly, I see that as the only time most people ever use cursive writing.

Quoting MommyOnLI:

i know i dont...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)