• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a question for the experienced hairdressing mommas about GREY

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:17 AM
  • 10 Replies

My friends mom wants me to help her go grey. Her hair is dark brown almost black and well she has been coloring it because the grey isn't coming in very gracefuly. SHe wants me to give her a salt and pepper effect to make the transition easier. I know that I am definately going to have to do a double process but what i need to know is there a grey/silver toner I can use so I'm not leaving it blonde. I want it to look natural.

I am going to foil it . Definately through the mohawk area Do i do it heavy or do a fine weave through the top. I am not sure how far down I want to go with the highlights. But I was thinking just doing some peakaboo random chunks through the bottom layers.instead of a uniform look.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shebearncub
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 8:04 AM

Bump 4 ya....

there is also a Hair and Makeup group here you might want to post this question too if you haven't already......good luck!

Heather0816
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 8:06 AM

I don't have the answer for you but I wanted to say it's nice to hear that people are actually starting to embrace their age!!  as for me thought, I'll keep coloring, lol!

FoxyLady42
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 8:11 AM

I would do a Medium weave with foils through out her hair, I really don't know of any grey toners, I would go without a Cafe Laitte toner, or check at the beauty suppy house.

barabra
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 8:14 AM

THAT IS A TOUGH ONE, HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN SINCE HER LAST RETOUCH? IF ITS STARTING TO GROW I WOULD JUST GET SOME TEMPORARY RINSE TILL IT GROWS ALOT MORE, SHE MAY HAVE TO PICK OUT A SHORT HAIRCUT TO GET THE OLD COLOR OFF, I DONT KNOW IF THE WAY U ARE APPROACHING IT IS GONNA MAKE HER LOOK OLDER? WHY NOT JUST USE COLOR REMOVER ON THE OLD COLOR GET IT AS LITE AS POSSIBLE AND GIVE HER A PRETTY PLATUIM ICE COLOR? ITS TRICKY, LET ME KNOW WHAT U END UP DOING AND IF U NEED MORE HELP SEND ME A MESSAGE GOOD LUCK!

I AM A HAIRDRESSER SO I COULD CALL OUR HELPLINE FOR YA IF YA WANT ME TO K?

jenniamigo
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:04 AM

I suggested that to her already but she is just wants to get it over and done with . So i explained the damage that could be done from double processing and maybe even more than that with the bleach because she has been touching up her grey for quite some time. SO even though techinically her hair is still her natural color it is still processed with box color. SOOO this is something that is going to take some time and she said she completely gets it but it is just hair and that it grows if something goes wrong. SO i have been doing some research and I was think about trying to the silver like meryl streeps hair in the devil wears prada. I loved that shade of grey granted since this woman is dark headed I was just thinking salt and peppering her so the transition will be easier. And I may thin out her hair (it is incredibly thick) and give her a new style. I am going to use goldwell bleach but i havent decided on the toner just yet.

I didn't want to use a stripper because than I would have to do her whole head of hair and in my experience it never takes it back to the original color. I see it as nothing more than bleach.

I didn't want to go tooo heavy on top. I don't think she is quite ready for going grey all over. I think it would be too much of a shock since her hair is soooo dark. So I think we are going to approach this by doing a little at a time. so than she will gradually turn grey. and it will give us time to actually see what her natural grey is going to look like. I would hate to take her platinum all over if her grey comes in salt and peperrish than we would have to do more work than needed.

Quoting barabra:

THAT IS A TOUGH ONE, HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN SINCE HER LAST RETOUCH? IF ITS STARTING TO GROW I WOULD JUST GET SOME TEMPORARY RINSE TILL IT GROWS ALOT MORE, SHE MAY HAVE TO PICK OUT A SHORT HAIRCUT TO GET THE OLD COLOR OFF, I DONT KNOW IF THE WAY U ARE APPROACHING IT IS GONNA MAKE HER LOOK OLDER? WHY NOT JUST USE COLOR REMOVER ON THE OLD COLOR GET IT AS LITE AS POSSIBLE AND GIVE HER A PRETTY PLATUIM ICE COLOR? ITS TRICKY, LET ME KNOW WHAT U END UP DOING AND IF U NEED MORE HELP SEND ME A MESSAGE GOOD LUCK!

I AM A HAIRDRESSER SO I COULD CALL OUR HELPLINE FOR YA IF YA WANT ME TO K?

tj_happygirl
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Well.. I do have a suggestion for you. In the Redken color line they had a few colors in the Shades EQ line that were silver. Different levels of course. The only problem with doing that method, it will make the hair extra porous when bleaching or removing the old color - well shades won't stay in as long because of it being so porous. I would say your best bet is to, after you achieve the color you want, use a clear process. And you may have to do it again within a few weeks. Atleast until the natural color is grown out long enough you can cut off the existing color treatments.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:18 AM

You can't fake true gray hair.  It wuill always go to the lightest blonde and if you try to tone it it will look like muck!

SxyPanamami83
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:19 AM

I did a gray look just for fun in school on my mannequin and let me tel lyou itss alot of damage done to the hair.  I cant remember the exact thing i had to do but if i can find it oll let you know.

StarrAngel
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Ok hold on here...you mean Ive been spending $30 a month trying to get rid of my grays and someone actually wants them...lol. good luck to her. 

barabra
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:59 AM

WE ALL AGREE THAT IT IS GONNA BE HARD ON HER HAIR GREY IS NOT A COLOR REALLY, ITS DUE TO LACK OF PIGMENT COLOR IN THE HAIR DID U ASK HER ABOUT THE FACT IT WILL MAKE HER LOOK OLDER? I THINK THE TEMPORARY RINSE IS THE BEST WAY TO GO UNTIL SHE GROWS OUT MOR, CHANCES ARE U WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO GET IT PAST THE YELLOW STAGE, YUCK! GO TO REDKEN .COM AND SEE IF U CAN GET SOME ADVICE, SHE HAS TO KNOW YOUR NOT A MAGICIANshoutinggood luckTHEN WHAT U COULD DO IS PULL HER THROUGH A CAP AND DO SOME LO LITES TO TAKE AWAY SOME OF THE GREY. KEEP IN TOUCH

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)