• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

That poor child... UPDATE

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:28 AM
  • 45 Replies

Alright so this is a pretty dumb question but I have to ask. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to it but I want to make sure.

A little background info (not that it's needed tho lol)

I have a friend I have known forever. She is engaged and her fiance found out 2 months ago that he is the father to a now 4 month old baby. They weren't together then so it doesn't cause problems. My friend loves the baby like he is her own.

My question

My friend recently told me that the mom of the baby is giving him bottles of corn syrup. She said it's a 4 oz bottle and she fills it 2 oz with corn syrup and the other 2 with water and gives it to the baby when he wakes up in the morning and after his naps. My friend tasted it once and said she almost puked. The mom won't send him with formula when they have visitation she just tells them to do the corn syrup thing but they bought their own formula so that poor baby doesn't have to eat that. So my question is, has anyone ever heard of this? We're thinking this CAN'T be good for him! Corn syrup is sugar isn't it?! And couldn't all that sugar cause obesity? Is there any reason that it could be ok to give the baby this? Maybe like a medical reason? But then shouldn't the mom tell the dad this?

So my friend's fiance tried talking to his baby's mom about it and she got mad. They were having visitation at the father's house but the mom wanted to stay. When he asked her she yelled at him and said that the baby needed it and she almost left until they dropped it. They are still waiting for the court date but they are going to try to get a rush on it now. The dad figures that he mentioned it but dropped it when she got mad because then he won't be able to see the baby AND she will keep doing the same thing but he won't be able to know if his son is ok. Right now they are on ok terms as long as he kisses her ass. If they can't get the court date rushed they are going to call cps. They said the baby is doing ok... he's gaining weight and growing like he should be but they said they had to feed him as soon as he got there because he wanted to eat even tho the mom said she just fed him. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions they really helped out a lot.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nenaness
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:31 AM

THat doesnt sound right but im not sure so i will give you a bump.

prestonjohn
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:32 AM

sounds more like she doesnt want to pay the bucks for formula,,,and i dont think the baby could break this down good either, i would ask a dr and then suggest she go to WIC or something. is there a court order or anything done. i wouldnt give the baby back and go to get emergancy custody thru the courts,,to me this is abuse as she is malnurishing her baby

lindseywhitaker
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:32 AM

That's not normal and it's not healthy.  It is sad.  Perhaps a look into what else she is doing to/with this baby is in order.  If she's not feeding him, then she surely isn't taking care of him properly in other ways. 

linda4
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:33 AM

I have never heard of this and I have 4 kids in the age range of 23 y/o all the way down to 4 1/2 y/o. I would talk with the father and tell him that he needs to say something to the mother about this and maybe even seek help through CPS or the Dr.s Office if possible.

coffeeluvnmom3
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:34 AM

You need to report her!!! Formula is so important for their brain developement!!

BRI32508
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:35 AM

i would call CPS, there is no way that baby can be getting the nutrients it needs from corn syrup

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:35 AM

That is very dangerous.  Somebody will have to get that mother to give the baby formula or call the authorities.  That child is at risk.

Here is an article about the risks of water for chidren under 6 months of age....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24760916

Not to mention that chid is getting no nutrition from corn syrup.

LukesMommy912
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:36 AM

She already goes to wic that's the thing. She has the formula available and when she runs out she asks this guy for money and he buys her some or gives her the money. We were thinking the same thing but she doesn't buy it, everyone else does, and she still gives it to him.

Quoting prestonjohn:

sounds more like she doesnt want to pay the bucks for formula,,,and i dont think the baby could break this down good either, i would ask a dr and then suggest she go to WIC or something. is there a court order or anything done. i wouldnt give the baby back and go to get emergancy custody thru the courts,,to me this is abuse as she is malnurishing her baby

milmiracle
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:37 AM

I have heard of people giving this to their kids like an old wives tale kind of thing.  I never did and If I ever did it was maybe my first or both first of second kid for constipation but not that much syrup mostly water.  I didn't like to use that too much so If my elders prepared or helped me prepare it they probably got but not that much.  Also she doesn't do the formula so u guys don't use hers up, she is making him pay for the kids formula while he is there is what she is doing.  Even if she does that corn syrup thing if that baby doesn't gain the weight the doctor will question and call cps on her. 

kaitlynsmom1230
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:37 AM

my daughter was given like 1/2 tsp of corn syrup in a 6 oz bottle OCCASIONALLY but ONLY when she was constipated!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)