Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there anyone here who went to school online and was able to find a job?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:35 AM
  • 21 Replies

Someone made a post last night about going to school online and a few people said that they would laugh you out of the interview or just throw away your resume for a job. Is there anyone here who was able to find a job after going to school online?

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyOnLI
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:38 AM

heres a bump bc i would like to know this as well..

i didnt see last nights convo, but when i was working and i was looking for an administrative assistant for me, i wouldnt see anyone who had graduated from collage from online.

community colleges w/ online classes, but those soley focused online collages we rejected.

missthang42001
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:40 AM

My school gives you the opportunity to either go to school online for the programs or on campus.  I decided to go online.  It has been a year since graduation and still NO job.  I am guessing its because of the economy because if I didnt tell the prospective employer about me taking the program online they would not know since the school gives you a choice.

macysmama1206
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Why is that?  I'm currently enrolled in online college.  It was the only way I could go to school right now.  My college is nationally accredited.  My credits will transfer to any college I choose to continue my education at.  I did want to get a job between my associate's degree and my bachelor's!

Quoting MommyOnLI:

i didnt see last nights convo, but when i was working and i was looking for an administrative assistant for me, i wouldnt see anyone who had graduated from collage from online.

community colleges w/ online classes, but those soley focused online collages we rejected.

"The smile of a child is a tattoo: indelible art."

"But kids don't stay where they're supposed to. You turn around and find her not in the bedroom but hiding in a closet; you turn around and see she's not three but thirteen. Parenting is really just a matter of tracking, of hoping your kids do not get so far ahead you can no longer see their next moves."
Melissa282
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:51 AM

bump!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
AmandaBBW
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:53 AM

yeah why would you reject them. if its accredited i dont see a problem

Quoting MommyOnLI:

Mom2LiamNMolly
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:54 AM

My friend got her AA in some sort of business program online and she got a good job in the accounting department of the resort here. $16 an hour plus full benefits... The AA was from Kaplan University. AND the resort here is VERY picky on who they hire because of who they deal with as guests.

motherhood-quote21

Stefanie - Mommy to Liam Patrick 07/07 (IUGR) and Molly Kate 06/08 (IUGR, Pre-Natal Stroke, Developmental Delays, and Failure to Thrive) and Wife to Mark since 2/17/2006

KelseyNovy87
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:09 AM

i just don't see why you'd get laughed out of an interview. i mean, it the online college is nationally accredited, then what's the big deal. i'm in the process of starting classes through university of phoenix. they're nationally accredited, my credits will transfer to another school if i choose to switch. plus the credits i've already earned at my community college transfer there. i just don't see what the big deal is.

Daisypath Vacation Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

feif_1202
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:14 PM

whoever told you you cant get a job after going to school and taking classes online is a total IDIOT! all colleges offer classes in the classroom and online you can earn an entire degree online as well they do that to make it easier on people who work fulltime and have famlies so they are able to go at there own pace so i wouldnt listen to that person they are stuck on stupid!

Marci81
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:19 PM
I think it will depend on what career field you go into.
complextrina
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:22 PM

I attend UOP online, and they actually have a "campus" building 20 minutes from my house (but I still do online anyway...) and you can go there either to take classes or if you have any questions etc. and they are *supposed* to help you find a job when you graduate. Im 1 year away, so Idk wether they really do or not. I am wondering about the first poster....what a rude response. Just to say something didnt set foot in a classroom, they are not on the same playing field as those who did? I think many people have this misconception that online school is easy and cheap because it's neither. It takes more motivation, and costs about 3x as much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)