Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 22-month old has a bloody nose. *Edited*

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:31 AM
  • 9 Replies

A little background first: she's been sick for the past 2 weeks. Started out with a fever, then that went away and she developed a cough. A very......juicy......cough. We took her to the dr, and she said it's just the normal progression of the cold. At the time, my DD's nose was running, but it was clear. Now it's green (like a light green). This morning, I wiped her nose (and she hates when I wipe her nose) and there was blood on the tissue. So I look, and the left side is bloody. I thought that maybe it was just that.....wipe....but each time I wipe there's more blood.

Any ideas? I'm trying to find something online about it, but haven't yet. I don't want to take her to the urgent care b/c (in my experience with them) they don't care and rush you in and out. And then we end up going back to the dr anyway. Has this happened to anyone before? She's had a nose bleed before, but usually it's just long enough for me to wipe it once or twice.

Thanks ladies!

*Edit*

Ok, so I took McKiah to the doctor today. And, she has bi-lateral ear infections. That's right, an ear infection in each ear. But, the doctor said that it was something that couldn't have been helped. It was the normal progression of the cold. I have to give her meds twice a day for 10 days, then I have to go back in 2-3 weeks to see if it's any better. Her nose isn't bleeding anymore, but there's a lot of snot. Although, she had tons before we went to the doctor, and then after almost nothing! lol. I got to look insider her ear, too. Not that I know what I was looking at, but apparently your inner ear is supposed to be a mother-of-pearl color, and McKiah's was a purple color. Good news is, her lungs are clear.  Bad news, my DH has bronchitis. I'm dealing with two sickies. Very sad. lol.

Oh, some more good news, I can kind of feel the baby moving. For those who don't know, I'm 11 weeks pregnant. It's not a foot or hand I'm feeling, it's when the kid changes position. There's a lot of pressure. Kind of cool. Plus, I had to pull out some old maternity pants to wear to work. And I had to stop wearing my belt. lol.

Thanks ladies for all your suggestions! :-) Have a good night!

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lilmom71
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:34 AM

she might of broke a blood vessel in her nose.  You can use a small amount of bacitracin to keep her nose from drying up and breaking blood vessels.

jaxTheMom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:38 AM

My only thought is to keep her quiet and on her back so it can close, apply pressure if she'll let you.

Do you have humidifyers running?  My younger brother used to have crazy nosebleeds all the time if the air was dry.

LeXisMoMMi04
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:40 AM

well i heard not to let it run back into her body-- to let it run out.. bc it could go into her brain or soemthing. I dont know. but heres a bump

workinghorse
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Is her nose dripping, streaming, or spotting blood.   If it is dripping or streaming,  hold her nose with firm pressure at least 2 minutes.  (It will feel like you're being mean,  but you need to give the vessel time to clot off.)   Do not tip her head back,  this could cause blood to run down the back of her throat and make her gag/throw up. 

If her nose is just spotting when you wipe it,  try to leave it alone for a few minutes and see if it will clot off without adding pressure. 

Once it is stopped,  try not to pick at the clots.  If you pull the clot off too soon,  it will just start her bleeding again.

You can put Vaseline or Aquaphor in  her nose to help keep the tissues soft and also help protect them from getting hard crusty boogies that pull off and cause tissue bleeding. 

Good luck!

1luvinmommy
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Its probably her sinuses. My son has this problem sometimes when he gets sick. It helps to sleep with a humidifier and to use a small amount of saline to moisten the inside of the nose. If it gets worse and/if she has a nasty thick green mucous coming out. take her to the doctor, she may have a sinus infection. The exact same thing happened to my son 3 or 4 months ago and it was a sinus inefection! Good luck.

ErikaM27
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:58 AM

my nose bleeds all the time since I was a kid just have her sit up and put pressure on her nostril it should stop on it's own.

ren109
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Sinus infection was my thought too.

Quoting 1luvinmommy:

Its probably her sinuses. My son has this problem sometimes when he gets sick. It helps to sleep with a humidifier and to use a small amount of saline to moisten the inside of the nose. If it gets worse and/if she has a nasty thick green mucous coming out. take her to the doctor, she may have a sinus infection. The exact same thing happened to my son 3 or 4 months ago and it was a sinus inefection! Good luck.

gilbertgrl627
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Ok, thanks. I had to work yesterday, so my DH was home with her. It's been good, so far, but occasionally I wipe her nose and it's a little bloody. I'll see if I can get a humidifier. I have one somewhere, but it's been so long since we've used it, I don't know how to clean it properly. Thanks again!

Quoting 1luvinmommy:

gilbertgrl627
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 9:53 PM

bumperoo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)