• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is Chivalry dead?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:43 AM
  • 133 Replies

Should men still hold open doors? open doors for us? give us our jacket? pay for dinner?

should we really be expecting this of them? Is chivalry dead or should it still be there?

I personally think that it is for the most part. I blame some of this on the womens rights movement. What do you think?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momto3infl
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:45 AM

For the most point I would say yes.  The paying for dinner-since it comes from ur joint acct that it wouldnt matter which of us paid, but the rest hubby still does for me

lilmom71
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I tend to hold the door open for the person behind me but I have had a few men laugh and insist on holding the door.  So there are still a few chivalrous men out there.

mysonsthree
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:50 AM
Yes, dead as a doornail. The number of men that actually were raised with any degree of manners, morals and values is TRAGICALLY low.

mommyandthree
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:51 AM

I am very old fashioned and think that a man should do that for women.  That doesn't mean that my husband does, lol!  I remember being 8 months pregnant and I was at Home Depot buying mulch.  I was trying to lift one of the bags into my cart and was having the worst time.  There was a big man standing next to me and didn't even offer to try to help me.  I don't know, maybe it is just me, but I found that to be very rude.

HEFFA-26.png image by jodell80   

baby girlbaseballgirl on a swingpregnant belly

metalmomma25
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:51 AM

why do you think that is these days? Just curious?

Quoting mysonsthree:

Yes, dead as a doornail. The number of men that actually were raised with any degree of manners, morals and values is TRAGICALLY low.

mommyandthree
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Isn't that so true?  My son(s) will be raised on how to take care of a lady.

Quoting mysonsthree:

katzmeow726

Seeing as we share an account its not so much about paying for dinner anymore.  But he still holds open doors (which I really enjoy) and is very protective of me right now, since I"m pregnant.  If we go down a flight of stairs he walks in front.  Up, he walks behind.  No heavy lifting, I don't have to really do much of anything right now.  its not that he won't allow me, he just does it first!  But he also knows when I want  or need to do things on my own,

mommyandthree

Most men are selfish and were raised wrong, IMO.

Quoting metalmomma25:

Quoting mysonsthree:

metalmomma25
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:53 AM

do you think it has anything to do with the womens rights movement?

Quoting mommyandthree:

Most men are selfish and were raised wrong, IMO.

Quoting metalmomma25:

Quoting mysonsthree:

pearee
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Maybe I'm the only one who caught this...

Are you acutally blaming Women's Rights on men not having manners?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)