Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why is she biting? how do i stop it?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:58 AM
  • 15 Replies

My daughter is 14 months, she is really only around her cousins and they don't bite. so why is she starting to.... at first i thought it was just teething but now she is doing it when she gets mad... How do i stop her from biting and hitting?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ErikaM27
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:04 PM

You need to be firm and consistent try to catch her before she does it that way she knows it's a big NO!!! Just keep telling her NO Biting! Biting hurts , hitting hurts etc. She'll get it. It's probably her way if showing her feelings/emotions.

orcadarwin
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Not sure why she would be biting, but they go through phases like that.  My 3 year old bit for a while.  How I stopped him from biting is to bite him back (bash away, I don't care, it worked).  Not hard enough to break the skin or anything, just hard enough to show him that it hurt.  Took about 2-3 times and he hasn't bit anyone since. 

mommylovehug
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:14 PM

It's a normal phase.  My son went throug it.  All we did was ignore him when he tried, but when he actually did succeed at biting us we told him no and then left it be.  Now when he's mad he just throws himself on the floor.  Just be consistent with whatever "punishment" you are going to use.

25beengoodtome
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:29 PM

14 months, a very frustrated age. you might catch her before she hits or bites, sit her down, and tell her it might make __ cry. Then have her give a love - hug. and get to a nice play mode right away. Switch games or toys, different from the anger starter. Maybe it's time for a walk outside.

SweetAngel0401
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:29 PM

agree

Quoting orcadarwin:

Not sure why she would be biting, but they go through phases like that.  My 3 year old bit for a while.  How I stopped him from biting is to bite him back (bash away, I don't care, it worked).  Not hard enough to break the skin or anything, just hard enough to show him that it hurt.  Took about 2-3 times and he hasn't bit anyone since. 

teresa06
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Bite her back....Or if you see her doing it or right after put a little little little bit of hot suace on there tounge. Worked for my daughter and she dont bite anymore. BASH AWAY!

vbongard
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:37 PM

It is a phase.  Just keep being stern with her when she does it, and if she is a sensitive soul preten to pout and cry which will show her that she hurt you.  I did this with my little girl and she stopped right away and gave hugs and kisses to make it better, said she was sorry and has not done it again. 

RottenFifteener
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:38 PM

I did the same thing.  Took about a dozen times and you can bet my DS stopped :)

Quoting orcadarwin:

stefvan
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Absolutely.  Even my pediatrician says that.

Quoting SweetAngel0401:

agree

Quoting orcadarwin:

JaxomsGirl
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:48 PM

when my oldest use to bite i would pop his mouth(not hard but enough for him to know) and tell him "no biting". It took a few times but he never bit anyone again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)