Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military housing...???

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:45 PM
  • 10 Replies

So we just got put on a waiting list for military housing..I was living with military housing in the Army and in Germany and they were apartments so there wasn't much we could do on the outside and inside other then paint. So my question is does anyone know if you can do any work on the outside of the house as well as the inside, if so, what can ya do?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauren8892
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:48 PM

I don't think you can really do anything other than little decorations and minor landscaping on the outside. We're on a waiting list too! One more month to go!

Seans_mommy123
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:48 PM

I know the outsides have to be kept to a certain standard. I"m not sure what it is though. As far as the inside...I don't know that you can do much and if you do i think you have to return it to the way it was previously (like wall color and what not). We choose not to live in base housing and purchased our own home due to those reasons.

Sarah993
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:48 PM

I grew up on an airforce base and I know that unless the base already has their fences up you can put up a fence do some general landscaping, we had a garden and a swing set.  You may want to check with the rules b/c I'm sure all bases are different depending on what their housing is like.

silla710
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:58 PM

What base are you at? How long were you on the waiting list?

Quoting lauren8892:

I don't think you can really do anything other than little decorations and minor landscaping on the outside. We're on a waiting list too! One more month to go!

ren109
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:00 PM

You can call the housing office or ask when you go pick up the keys. But at our base all you can do is small decorations and minor landscaping, such as plant flowers. But what ever you do has to be undone before you leave.

ren109
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Oh yeah, you can put up fencing but you have to fill out paperwork with housing for that. And painting in side you have to ok it with housing. If you put up a fence, you have to remove it before leaving. and if you paint or do anything in the house, you have to return it to the way it was when you moved in.

Quoting ren109:

You can call the housing office or ask when you go pick up the keys. But at our base all you can do is small decorations and minor landscaping, such as plant flowers. But what ever you do has to be undone before you leave.

101InfantryWife
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Fort Campbell was really reallllllly strict with their housing rules, so we didnt live in it. Also, our housing wait list was 6-12 months, so we rented, and then bought a home in Tennessee.

Honestly you can find cheap rent off post and still get your BAH (maybe not even use all your bah on rent... there fore your getting a little extra in your pocket a month)

Jillayna21
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Where are you on a waitlist at?  I am at Fort Bragg and our wait was really short when we got here a few months ago.  I don't think we can do much to the house, just hanging decorations and such.  We did get a fence put up, but it has to be removed when we leave, which I think is silly.  I'm pretty sure our lease paperwork explained in detail what we can and can't do.

lauren8892
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:20 PM

I'm at Fort Bragg NC and we were on the shortest waiting list which was 4 months.

Quoting silla710:

What base are you at? How long were you on the waiting list?

Quoting lauren8892:

RmeWifey01
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Here's the deal w/Army housing...., If you plan on painting or re-siding the outside, forget it. It's a no-go. If you plan on a flower garden or veggie garden and some landscaping, mostly it's all good unless you plan on putting in a pond or water feature or huge rocks or whatnot. They are normally pretty ok with small flowery trees and shrubs unless you are in a place like AZ where rattlesnakes can hide out in them and such. Painting the inside is based on whether or not the General of the base gives his approval, and some places like West Point have certain 'approved colors' like baby blue or pale green or pale yellow. Kinda sucks but what choice do you have other than living off-post like we do. Yeah, I am one of those mama's who like my individualism (i.e. everything painted purple...lol). We are at Riley now but off-post so we don't have deal with the bull. The housing on post has kind of cramped yards and some have fences which they must 'rent' for an additional $25-35 per month and then turn in when they leave. Some of the housing is VERY SMALL, not sutiable for more than 1 child. The newer housing is bit more spacious and kind of nice looking but again the yards are small and some sort of sewage pipes going through the back yards in some. Loooove my off-post housing. Good luck mama.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)