Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thumbsuckers

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:02 PM
  • 12 Replies

HELP! My 2 and a half year old is addicted to his thumb... It's seriously like a drug addiction.  I've tried taping the thumb.. but he'd just start sucking his other fingers. I then taped all the fingers on his right hand, but he'd move to the left.  I've tried hot chilly pepper too, but it's also only temporary.

He's already got gaps in his lower teeth and the top front tooth is popping out from all that sucking. I'm already saving up to pay for his braces in the future...

Anyone have any good advice for thumbsuckers?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LEJOLIE
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:06 PM

My 5 yr old sucks her thumb and i di to the age of 15!

29Cassie29
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:07 PM

My 3 1/2 year old son still sucks his thumb too.  If you get any good ideas, let me know!!

Cassie

(Mom to Isaac & Claire)

DakotaRose
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:09 PM

I am fighting this right now with my 5 year old. I am going to try this stuff online I will look for the websight and post it, everyone who has used it says it works great, so heres hoping!

Brooke501
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:10 PM

They sell bitter nail polish for those that bite their nails but it works just as good on thumb suckers. That way you can do both hands.

My cousin used to have a chart and every day that she did not get caught sucking her thumb she would get a gold star. Depending on how many stars she got she would then get to go pick out a toy.

nonna
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:11 PM

My dd will be 3 in March and she sucks her thumb.  She really only does it when she's tired and trying to go to sleep.  I am not really concerned about it yet.

Bump for you though!

Krystiana ~ Loving wifey to Nick, Momma to Juliana,
Stepmomma to Lillyana,
and growing a boy. EDD-2/20/09

25beengoodtome
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Mine were thumbers. They stopped, once they were socializing with other kids, guess they were too busy having fun!

izayascott06
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:14 PM

i sucked my thumb til i was around 11. my parents tried everything. putting nasty stuff on my thumb they even went to the doctors and he put this brace thing in my mouth so everytime i put my finger in there i would remember to take it out and when that didnt work he cut the bottom of it so it would hurt everytime but the only thing that got me was a really bloody thumb.( my aunt yanked it out and it completely sliced my thumb up.) so they just had to wait for me to out grow it.

Pnkribbon
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:18 PM

My daughter was a thumb sucker and when she was 4 she only did it when she fell asleep. She grew out of it and her teeth are not sticking out . She is 11 going on 12 next month and her teeth are perfectly straight.  It is just a phase they grow out of.

spiderman308
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Thanks a bunch! Yes, I've been thinking abt starting an incentive chart. Just wondered if they're old enough to understand or have the patience to wait for the stickers to accumulate to buy a toy...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)