Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2/3 of Americans Approve

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:04 PM
  • 16 Replies

Of Obama's actions in his first days in office.

http://news.aol.com/main/obama-presidency/article/president-obama-approval-rating/316834

WASHINGTON (Jan. 25) - Barack Obama is enjoying about a two-thirds approval rating for his first days as president, a poll released Saturday found.

The Gallup Organization survey found 68 percent of Americans approve of Obama's performance as the nation's chief executive. That's a number near the high end for new presidents, but short of President John F. Kennedy's 72 percent in 1961.

The poll also found that 12 percent in the survey disapprove of Obama's job performance, a typical number all presidents face after an election.
Among presidents elected to their first term, Kennedy had the highest initial job approval rating, 72 percent, in Gallup polling three weeks after his inauguration. Next were Dwight Eisenhower with 68 percent approval and Jimmy Carter with 66 percent. Every other president elected to a first term since Eisenhower started office with at least majority job approval: Richard Nixon's 59 percent; Ronald Reagan's and George H.W. Bush's 51 percent; Bill Clinton's 58 percent and George W. Bush's 57 percent.

Compared with his immediate predecessors, Obama faces fewer Americans who disapprove of his performance. Clinton faced 20 percent disapproval after taking office in 1993, and George W. Bush faced 25 percent disapproval after the Supreme Court delivered him the presidency in 2000.

Like a good debate about Mothering Hot Topics?
Come debate with us!

My name is Alli, I am a mother to two children Brady and Addison.
I am a nurse, wife, midwifery student, aspiring doula, straight edge, breastfeeding, homebirthing, non vaccinating, liberal, pro choice, future home schooling, green living, army wife, atheist, level headed, feminist.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:06 PM

I'm happy with my vote. I think good change will come. Things won't get fixed over night, they will take TIME. I really think he'll be good for our country.

Kairi snowgirl

CashJulianMommy
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Guess I am part of the 12% then.

3earthangels
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Looks like I'm in the majority......

I do aprove of what he's done so far and don't expect stellar changes days into his career. Rome wasn't built in a day.........

Are you, a family member, or a friend going through the immigration process? Need information, want support, or just want to learn more about it? Join my group www.cafemom.com/group/theimmigrationprocess to share your story, find helpful information, and people who are going through just what you are.

momto3infl
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:10 PM

I agree totally on what Obama has done so far in office.

tamale102280
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Me too.

Quoting CashJulianMommy:

lindseywhitaker
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:14 PM

ditto--I'm part of the other third ... I don't approve either

Quoting CashJulianMommy:

prncssinwaiting
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:14 PM

change is among us

orcadarwin
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Same here.  There are more important things that need to be taken care of.  He's taking care of little things that can wait.  Seems to me he's got it backwards. 

Quoting lindseywhitaker:

Quoting CashJulianMommy:

MonroeLoves82
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:40 PM

This is what a lot of people do not understand. The bills he has signed, and the actions he has taken, are all things that were waiting on his desk to be signed when he got into office. He has not taken time to make these first priority, he simply signed a piece of paper. The big problems, like the economy are not going to be fixed over night, and he has been working on it since the DAY after he was elected.  He has done more before taking office to set up his Presidency that any president before.

Quoting orcadarwin:

Same here.  There are more important things that need to be taken care of.  He's taking care of little things that can wait.  Seems to me he's got it backwards.

Quoting lindseywhitaker:

Quoting CashJulianMommy:

Like a good debate about Mothering Hot Topics?
Come debate with us!

My name is Alli, I am a mother to two children Brady and Addison.
I am a nurse, wife, midwifery student, aspiring doula, straight edge, breastfeeding, homebirthing, non vaccinating, liberal, pro choice, future home schooling, green living, army wife, atheist, level headed, feminist.

DakotaRose
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:41 PM

I am with the 12% myself.....

Quoting orcadarwin:

Quoting lindseywhitaker:

Quoting CashJulianMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)