Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Languages, Reading, Lutheran School?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:08 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am wondering if any of you have taught your 2yr old or even younger to read. I was thinking this was a great idea. I have talked to some parents that say they think this steals their "majical baby years" away from them and they should be able to be just a baby. What do you think?

Have you taught them other languages that you don't speak at home? My husband and I have learned french me more than him but we do not speak it in the home and neither do we speak any other languages. If we don't speak the languages then is it even gonna matter if we teach our 2yr old languages. I do see that most of the DVD's we have from disney and so forth have at least spanish and some french options for the language in the menu. So I guess we could watch those movies in the other languages.

What do you think of Private Lutheran School K-12? The public schools near us are getting kinda rough and tough. I was wondering what people think of privat school and we would do Lutheran and yes there are several to choose from near our house. Do you think this will put her at a disadvantage later in dealing with difficult people. How do you think it might help? She is pretty much an only child. She has step sister 15yrs that only visits everyother week. So we go to day care and play places often so she can interact with kids of all ages.

I don't want to over educate and make her into a brainy bratty kid with no common sense. Book smarts are great, but when there is no comon sense with it then that is bad combo. Any suggestions on how to balance this out? Anyone that went to privat school and has had a bad time in adult work force please ellaborate.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:18 PM

I am teaching my 2 YO letter recognition. Without that, you CAN'T read. She knows her ABCs, but she is working on identifying each individual letter. One step at a time. :) :)

Kairi snowgirl

DakotaRose
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:23 PM

My 23 month old can already count to ten, count backwards from five and can say her ABC's. She is now learning what her ABC's look like and loving it. She thinks its all a game. Her older sisters know all this and she thinks she should also. As for the Private Lutheran School. I would LOVE to send my girls to one. If you can get her in do it. She will love it in the long run.

zillionaire
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:28 PM

I'm a complete book worm, have been all my life.  I was around 2 -1/2 when I started reading.  I read my first books with chapters (Dr. Doolittle) when I was in kindergarden.  My precocious 13 mo. old loves books too.  She'll sit and hold them and concentrate on them, so she might take after me.  My mom just read to me a lot, and that's how I learned to read.

I have my heart set on sending her to a private school, but it is not affiliated with any religion.  I've met several kids who went to this school, and they all have this sense of confidence and self-assurance about them.  They seem to radiate good health and creativity.  This school even has a circus class as an option for PE.  How cool is that?

CafeMom Admin
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 8:58 AM

wave

Hi SmidgensMom

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

After Pregnancy: Babies & Toddlers

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom. You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!
\The CafeMom Admin Team

lujenem3
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Not sure how early either of them were actually reading, but started with the letter & sound recognition with my daughter & grandson when they were both pretty young. Probably started them with Spanish when they were around 2 years old also. No opinion on Lutheran School-never dealt with one.

lujenem3

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:15 AM

I don't believe in teaching children anything too early, here is why.  When you overeducate them before they go to school in the average district they will be bored to death in class, they start to daydream, cause trouble, be disruptive.  I'm talking from personal experience I was a gifted student who was bored to death with school by 4th grade and was in trouble from there on. 

As for private school my kids all go to Catholic school for moral reasons, I think the public school system is too politically correct and there is so much time wasted worrying about offending someone that no real education goes on.  Hence you go to the store and the sixteen year old checking you out can't make change without the register to help. 

My husband went to Lutheran High School and he loved it.  He's 41 and still is involved with his school.  It's the same with Catholic School you never really leave.  It's a nice atmosphere.

feif_1202
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 10:59 AM

if you can afford to send your children to the luthern school i say go for it! my son is 24mnths and he knows three letters out of the alphabet and loves being read to i go over with him his numbers and his alphabet as well but not all children learn the same either every child is different but i say if the school will benefit them more power to you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)