Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Housing Problems... (re-post) PLEASE help me out!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:22 PM
  • 13 Replies

This is a re-post.... but I really need some more input!!!!

OK... we are in a nice house about 7 miles south of town... we took a 2 year lease option to buy and the owner said she had no problem waiting the two years... NOW she is back from Florida and has decided she wants to sell the house now and is giving us the first right to buy it (per the lease)... well, she wants over 150,000 MORE than appraised value in todays market and why would DH and I pay more than a house is worth? Especially in a location near the highway... And I doubt we could get a loan, anyways...

So.... I started looking at other rentals last week. There is a house in the perfect location. Less than one mile to town, awesome views, good neighborhood, not near the highway... it's totally unique... my dad has painted it... my mom is doing the carpet (all a coincidence)... it has an indoor organic veggie garden, hot tub AND observatory with viewing deck for DH's telescopes AND has a view of the runs on the ski mountain...

It's $300 more than we pay now ($it's 1950 a month)... but we would save $150 or so in gas a month.... and $600-$800 a year in snow plowing... and another $500 or so a year in lawn care... so it balances out...

Here are the downsides... the house is 5 stories... the basement is an apartment rented out for a year to a totally nice lady. In the winter, though, she has to access it from our garage... which seems kinda weird... and we would have to share a laundry room with her... which also seems funky to me. What if she is doing laundry when I HAVE to wash something of the kids, KWIM?

Also, the kids rooms are on the ground level... with the kitchen and dining room... the second floor is the master and family room.. the third is an amazing office space (since I am starting school it would be killer) and the fourth is the observatory.... anyway, I am not sure about the kids on a different level... and the yard is small (we have an acre of grass now) and we could not take the kids swingset but it could go to my parents and the park is 1/4 mile away.... And I guess the idea of not having my kitchen on the same floor has the family room seems odd, too... because I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. And it seems like a lot of stairs with an 18 month old and a 7 month old... they would be confined to a large family room and the master most of the day...

Again, the location is ideal... The price is in our range.... but do we give up some privacy and a family style home just for location?

I think I could maybe get a electric stackable washer and dryer and put it in our part of the house and ask that the lady below has NO ACCESS to our house and I could deadbolt the connector access... I just don't know, you know?

motherhood-quote21

Stefanie - Mommy to Liam Patrick 07/07 (IUGR) and Molly Kate 06/08 (IUGR, Pre-Natal Stroke, Developmental Delays, and Failure to Thrive) and Wife to Mark since 2/17/2006

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mezmer
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Eh, I don't like to share my house with anyone.  I like to be able to do laundry when I need to...Not having to wait.  It's up to you if you want to give up some privacy or not.  I personally would keep looking.

~*~Amanda~*~

Shaynas_Mommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Honestly, I would look for something else. It sounds way too inconvenient, and the only way you could get a stackable washer and dryer is if you already had the hookups upstairs to do so, which I'm assuming you don't since the washer is in the basement,

~"Careful what you wish, careful what you say, careful what you wish, you may regret it, careful what you wish, you just might get it."~ **METALLICA***

JudeandLucy
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:32 PM

I used to live in a two family flat and we had to share the laundry room with the owner and his roommates. It was TERRIBLE. On our "laundry days" I'd go to change loads and would find my wet clothes on the floor because they needed to wash something. Since then I refuse to share a washer and dryer with anyone!

ForeverMeme
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Quoting Shaynas_Mommy:

Honestly, I would look for something else. It sounds way too inconvenient, and the only way you could get a stackable washer and dryer is if you already had the hookups upstairs to do so, which I'm assuming you don't since the washer is in the basement,

I agree!

Brandie_xo
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:34 PM

thats actually how alot of the houses here in germany are, sharing the main entryway, and basement/laundry with your housemate/neighbors.

Im glad i live on post. lol

My daughter is fully vaccinated so yours doesn't have to be!

You're Welcome.

baby

3earthangels
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:35 PM

I wouldn't move into that house. Like you, I spend a ton of time in the kitchen and the kids love to be outside. So having the kitchen on a diferent level and a tiny yard would not work for us. I also don't like the idea of my LO's being on ground level & being able to escape without me knowing... I'd be sleeping in the hallway or something :) If I HAD to, I would probably find a way to turn the dining room into another bedroom & use the master upstairs as a play/art/craft room for the kids. And then figure out a way to have an eat in kitchen. But in all honesty, I would just keep on looking.

Good luck to you! I hope things work out well!!!

Are you, a family member, or a friend going through the immigration process? Need information, want support, or just want to learn more about it? Join my group www.cafemom.com/group/theimmigrationprocess to share your story, find helpful information, and people who are going through just what you are.

lindseywhitaker
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:37 PM

What's the old lady like? Usually old ladies are harmless...anyways.  Would it be possible to make the bedrooms different than what they are intended for? Just because a room is intended for a bedroom or living room doesn't mean it can't be adapted for something else, kwim?  As for the stackables, that's a good idea.  I think I'd look at the house and try to think outside the box and figure out how you can make it work for your family.  GL

rockinmomto2
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:39 PM

It sounds like way too much of a hassle. We're looking for a new place to move to, and I'm being really picky. I refuse to settle for less than what I want. Just because we're renting doesn't mean that I have to settle, KWIM? I'd say just keep looking for something more convenient.

DAFAB4MOMMA
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:39 PM

whoa............................ first thing first look somewhere else yes it may be a little convenient  for you but then it has it's NO-NO'S I AM A VERY PRIVATE PERSON AND THE THOUGHT OF SHARINGMY HOME WITH A STRANGER OH NO CAN'T DO IT I WOULD CAREFULLY THINK EVERYTHING OVER AND PROBABLY LOOK FOR SOMETHING ELSE AS FAR AS YOUR CURRENT LANDLORD SHE HAS ISSUES AND SHE IS REALLY TRYING TO GET OVER ON YOUconfused

BrownEyedGirl86
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:39 PM

did you sign a lease with the woman from florida ?? or a contract dealing with the rent to own option....and anywhere in it did it say 2 years??? normally when you rent to own you both set and agree on a price and put it in the contract.  if she did that then you DON"T NEED TO MOVE AND I would assume you can sue her for what you paid into HER house!!!!! I would get in touch with a lawyer and see what they say though

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)