• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daycare or Stay-at-Home

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:48 PM
  • 74 Replies

My mother in law hates that I am a working mother.  She says that I am depriving my children of true parenting. I disagree.

Do you stay at home, or is your child(ren) in daycare?  Why did you chose what you did? Do you get criticized for what you chose?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Root213
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:50 PM

My son is in Daycare. He had been since he was 6 weeks old..... He is almost 14 months old now... he loves the interaction with the other kids.. he'd go crazy (we both would) if we were stuck in the house all day with no other kids around....      I dont think it makes moms any less of a parent... plus I have to work to pay bills.. I dont see anyone else volunteering to pay my car payment, rent, utilities, insurance, and saving for my son's college!!!!!!

LisaKelz
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:50 PM

My dd is in daycare part time. I like it this way! She has plenty of time with me & plenty of time away from me to work on social skills, etc. with kids her age & other adults.

momtoamo
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:51 PM

I stay home.  We felt it was the best things for our kids.  I find having at least one parent around is better for our family and way of life.  We sacrifice a lot in order to do this, but feel it is worth it for our children in the end.  I also am fully aware this does not work for everybody.

l

missingbelle
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:52 PM

I am a stay at home mother and I wouldn't trade it for the world ! I love spending so much time with my son and I do think it has its different affects on each child. I think it is a fantastic thing to do and encourage more to try it but I would never put someone down who chooses or has to work. 

orcadarwin

I stay at home with my kids.  The reason being that we can not afford daycare.  Even if I did work, it would take all of my paycheck and half of my husband's to pay for daycare, and then we would be worse off than we already are.  Even with one child in school, it would still cost more than we can make in a month.  So, I stay home and we get by. 

Am I criticized?  Yes.  Am I looked down upon?  Yes.  By those who don't understand why I stay home.  They can't get the fact that financially we are better off living with one paycheck than with 2.

amygray

You have to do what what makes the most sense for your family and what you feel comfortable with.  It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.  You can be a great mom if you work or if you are a stay at home mom.  Your mother law is just being mean.

If you don't work, how will you pay bills and keep a roof over your children's head and food on the table? That's what I would ask her.  Isn't being a good mom providing for their needs?

Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia is a hole that develops in the diaphragm at about 8 weeks gestation, allowing the intestines and other organs to move into the chest cavity, prohibiting the lungs to fully develop.  It occurs in 1 out of 2500 births and kills so many babies each year.  CDH is as common as Downs Syndrome and Spina Bifida.  Research and awareness is badly needed.  Please see www.cdhawareness.com for Baby Elizabeth and others like her.

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:52 PM

I work FT and my DD is in daycare FT. I work for that's WHY I went to college and earned my degree. PLUS, we need to double income. I don't feel my child is deprived of anything. She has friends in daycare, and has picked up a lot of new skills. As a teacher, I have holidays and summers off with her too, so it works out really nice.

Kairi snowgirl

mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Im a stay at home mom for now but im looking for work. I can afford to stay home but we are still struggling so i want to go to work to get ahead of everything. If i have to put my kdis in day care so be it my nephews are all in daycare and they do great. I highly doubt they will go in daycare since i can work at night and my husband is at home. Hes at a job where he can come and go as he pleases and not get in trouble as long as his work is done.

emilysmom8
by Dawn on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:53 PM

My DD has been in daycare since she was 6 months old, I had no choice because I have to work to put food on our table. My mother wasn't happy that her grand daughter was going to be in day care buit she finally accapted the fact that I am her mom and I am doing what needs to be done!

Billie_Bush
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:54 PM

im a sahm and I take my kids to a daycare once a week.  works for me and it works for them.. <3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)