• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cheerleaders?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:09 PM
  • 105 Replies

do you encourage your daughters to be cheerleaders?

i would rather mine be in the sport than a cheerleader, unless she actually chose to be a cheerleader.

edit - im aware cheerleading is a sport. and if my daughter WANTED to, i would sign her up. i know some ppl who automatically made their daughter sign up when they signed up their son for football.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyxina2008
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:11 PM

If I ever have a daughter I want to put her in kickboxing. I'm not a fan of cheerleading, and I wouldn't encourage it in my daughter.

HLJones13
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Well, since I consider Cheerleading a sport....
I'll encourage my daughter to do whatever she wants. Cheerleader or not.

MikeysMom51108
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:12 PM

If my daughter chose to be a cheerleader--I wouldn't stop her, and I would support her in that. But, I'm not going to sit here and push her to do it either if it's not something she's interested in.

Same with my son--if he wants to play football, I'll support him in that, but I won't push it if it's not what he wants.

orcadarwin
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Cheerleading is considered a sport now.  If I am fortunate enough to have a little girl this time around, I will encourage her and support her to do whatever sport she wants to do.  Just like I will with my boys.  If they want to play football, I will support that. 

sandycheecks21
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:13 PM

I was a cheerleader..So if thats what my daughter wants to do then i will let her!

juju40
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:14 PM

I would if she wanted to but right now all she wants to do is play sports which is good because cheerleading is way expensive

american flag ribbon

BoxerMomma
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Both of my girls are cheerleaders.  The oldest one that is twelve has done it for the last two years.  She tried it at 5 yrs old and didn't care for it and then tried again at 10 and loved it.  My youngest has done it two years (her first grade and second grade year).  It is her very favorite thing to do.  Neither of the girls like any other sport.  I want them to be in whatever they want to.  I would not encourage or discourage them in a sport based on what I like.  They have their own likes and dislikes and they need to figure out what they are good at.

Dylansmommy2006
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:15 PM

I was a sPORTS QUEEN and A band geek lol ! I SERIOUSLY HOPE my kids want to be in SPORTS !!  if she wants to cheer on the side lines... be a band geek and PLAY SPORTS I WOULD be SOOOOO OKAY WITH THAT!! but whatever

SGJsmom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Why? Cheerleadingis a sport. My daughter is offended when people don't think of it as a sport. You can letter in cheerleading and get scholarships. I was never a cheerleader, but my daughter is in it and she loves it. They incorporate gymnastics and they encourage parents to get their daughter into gymnastics. It teaches them teamwork. They have to work together or it throws the whole routine off. It is the first thing my daughter has been passionate about. My mom, my sister and my SIL were all cheerleaders. My daughter knows she has to keep her grades up or she can't cheer. I really don't understand why you wouldn't want your daughter to be a part of that.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:18 PM

its not that i dont think its a sport. and if my daughter wanted to do it, i would let her. but some ppl i know ENCOURAGE it, like its the thing to do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)