Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

almost single mom

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:12 PM
  • 10 Replies

This is a question for mom's with husband's/ boyfriend's that are almost always gone. My fiancee just left for Tennessee. I am a stay-at-home mom, of a 2 month old. He is persuing a job in truck driving. I have never spent a night alone, until he left, which was yesterday.Now tell me, how do you deal with being alone all the time? I've only been alone all day and it is driving me nuts!Thanks for listening.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
miss_nevin
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:14 PM

When i was with my husband he was always gonne 3 or4 months at a time.. mm join a gym find things to do so that you dont go crazy

JudeandLucy
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:17 PM

DH used to be a Conductor for Union Pacific Railroad, and was gone usually about 48 hours or more then home 18-24. It was pretty hard, to be honest. For a long time I'd have to have a girlfriend come over and spend the night with me lol (but I also lived in a really crap neighborhood! I mean, SCARY)  It can take alot of effort to make the relationship work with your SO being gone so much, but if you put the effort into it it's completely do-able.  You get used to the alone time though.

trishasjunebug
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Well, my boyfriend is NEVER here. He's always out at parties, or getting high. It's hard at times doing everything alone with no help, but I never feel alone when I'm with my little man. If you feel like you're going to lose it lol, just call someone up,take a little shopping trip. It always helps me to get out for a little while with my son, even to the grocery store. I don't know, it's really not that bad being a "single" mom. I will admit that I get really bored, and get cabin fever. I've gotten depressed a few times also, and really stressed out, but that's when I call up my mom, or a friend and have them help me, or take us out of the house for a while to get some fresh air and be around other people.

preview image

jimmysmom101
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Well, He is only going to be home 2 days out of every month. But maybe I will join a gym. Thanks!

miss_nevin
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I dont know i had a little one at the time.. and i had to find something where i could get my stress and be around adults.. and get a little break from the little one.. if you are gonna joing a gym look for bally or LA fitness i know ballys is 19$ a month with free childcare.. not sure what LA is but that or any gym with childcare.. it would be good for you kid and you.. that or go back to school something so that you dont just sit at home all alone everyday..  getting out and it will be less painful to be alone all the time:)

I am a single mom now and i still do the same.. make sure i got something to do.. that way i dont just set at home all the time and go crazy with the kids.. the gym is my "place" i go the kids love to go there and play i get to work out get my stress out and no kids screaming for at least an hour

Quoting jimmysmom101:

Well, He is only going to be home 2 days out of every month. But maybe I will join a gym. Thanks!

fairymom2316
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:50 PM

right now, i say it's very frustrating!!! im not having such a great day, it sucks, period!

Missing you everyday. See you in my dreams....come_home

Army_wife8181
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Dont really know how to give you advice on this. You just kinda do it. My hubby deployed while i was 5 months preggo and didnt come home for good until DD was 9 months old. Get you some great friends, go out occassionally, and dont forget about you! Good Luck!

MallorysMommy21
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:55 PM

my husband is mlitary and spends usually six months out of every year deployed. not to mention he is always training for weeks at a time. i also have a two months old. i would say to make sure someone can babysit abd you can have a girls night here and there to keep sanity. maybe get into a baby and me workout, try other little classes like self defense or dance or craft. spend time walking around the mall. take little trips. ummm find projects around the house. go rummaging on saturdays. start jogging with the baby. if you want more message me. i am like the queen of dealing with this hahaha.

RmeWifey01
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Well, how I deal with it is: we USUALLY get into a heated argument right before he leaves, like the night before, so then we both have several days or weeks or months to get over it. Works for us!! No, I shouldn't encourage you to fight with him. I'm sorry. I'm just pissed at mine right now. Sometimes we actually DO get along before he leaves. I seem to function better without him, I think b/c he is actually a big kid so when he's gone I have 1 less to trip over and pick up after. The 1st time was hard though, but then it got easier. (we are military.)

jimmysmom101
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 1:02 PM

I think I am just going to join a gym. Thanks for all the help!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)