Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How sick........

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:20 PM
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: When do you keep your kids home from school?

Options:

clear runny nose

coughing & clear runny nose

Green boggers, coughing, runny nose

if they don't have a fever- they go to school-

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 48

View Results

How sick is too sick to go to school?  I have a 6 yr old and a 4 yr old that have the sniffels and sneezes and are just starting a cough, I thinking I'm gonna keep them home from school (I did the 4yr old on thur. b/c he had the green boogers he only goes to preschool tue & thur) I don't work so day care isnt a prob. but they both LOVE school and the 6 yr old missed alot at the first of the yr b/c he had to have surgerys so he behind a bit not much, but I'm just wondering the thoughts of other moms:

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WhiteTigerLily
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:25 PM

I guess it all depends on their mood. My son is about to turn 3, and my daughter is almost 2 months old. So , I don't have to deal with that yet, but when the time comes I am guessing a little bit of sniffles wouldn't keep them home necessarily. I might send them to school with tissues and hand sanitizer so they don't pass germs to the other kids. If they feel bad along with sniffles I guess that is something else and I would probly keep them home.

ErikaM27
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:26 PM

I wouldn't  send my kid if he had Green boggers, coughing, runny nose I don't even allow that in my daycare.

SGJsmom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:28 PM

They need to be running a fever. They can have sniffles and a cough forever, well at least it seems like it...lol

sick

reelo
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Its really hard, I mean I will never for just the sniffles unless they are acting sick or have a fever or something... I kind of go on a combination of things not just symptoms but also behavior.  I mean if your kiddo has some green snot but has no fever and it otherwise feeling and acting fine go with your best judgement. 

Myroslava
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:30 PM

My DD is only 5 months old, but i was thinking about your question, and i think, probably runy nose would be enough for me to keep her home, because she would be contagious to other kids....may be, when she is old enough to know to wash her hands and not sneeze and cough at people, then may be, as long, as she feels well enough to be at school, she can go.

Mrs.Grasshopper
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:20 PM

any one else?

Mrs.Grasshopper
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:22 PM

voting is EASY!

LaNette000
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:24 PM

I voted for the 3rd one. When my kids get sick, I usually allow them a day off if it's first of the week. They say rest is the best medicine. If they don't feel well, sending them out just spreads the germs and makes them feel worse for not getting enough rest.

Jessie3398
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:29 PM

I send my kids to school with colds....if I didn't they'd never go, between the 3 of them someone is always sick this time of year.  If they have a virus with throwing up and all they stay home.  And of course if they have a cold and just don't feel well enough to go to school they don't.

jennymitchell
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:35 PM

It's part symptoms and part how they feel aside from that.  But, no matter how they may feel, if they threw up the night before or anytime during the night, have thick green snot, or a fever, they stay home.  I'm pretty lax on this.  Generally, if they say they are sick it's because they really are.  I'd rather keep them home from school for a day than get their entire class sick.  BTW, I kept my son home from school one day after he busted his teeth on our stairs.  He was in a lot of pain, both physical and emotional.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)