Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A mother who doesn't love her own kid :(

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:35 PM
  • 5 Replies

I read this in a blog and it made me sad for the mother and especially for her little girl...I'm glad she's getting help for this, but I wonder how much damage has already been done. I've never heard of this before, do any of you know any moms who don't love their children?

Read and tell me what you think...

Here’s a summary of the piece from the blog ParentDish.com:

Shelley Price doesn't love her own daughter, and fears she never will. This tearful mother of two is telling her story because she believes that she isn't the only mother to ever tackle such a taboo subject, and hopes she may help others come to terms with this unspeakable truth. How can this be?

Price was just 22 when she had her eldest daughter, Catherine, now 11. Shortly after Catherine's birth, a five-year relationship with the father fizzled. That didn't help matters.

"It was obvious that something wasn't right from the start," said Price. The night Catherine was born, Price says she didn't want to look or touch her. Her maternal malfeasance continues to this day. Playgroup pickup was something to dread, she recalls no landmarks such as a first tooth and when Catherine is sick, Grandma is called in. She admits to ignoring her daughter's attempts to get her attention and not wanting to be physically close to her. "I did hug Catherine, but it was always half-hearted," Price said. "I always told her I loved her but I never really felt it or meant it."

That is just awful. Particulary when there is another child in the house now, Poppy, 2, a daughter who she calls "the love of my life" by her current partner.

Here’s more:

On the plus side, if there is one, Price recognizes her shortcomings and is trying hard to improve her relationship with her older daughter. "Sometimes, if I've been playing with Poppy, she'll come and sit next to me, put her head on my shoulder and her arm round me, waiting for me to cuddle her," she said. "I look at her little face and know I've hurt her. I do care deeply for Catherine, but I have just never felt the same bond with her."

Instead of a good night kiss and "I love you, honey," Catherine hears a nightly whisper in her ear. "I'm sorry for the way I've been with you."

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Tea4Tas
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:37 PM

How wonderful of her to spread her story in public so BOTH of her children get to see it. Seriously Mom STF up and deal with your issues without involving the child you don't love-and the one you do.

It soulds like a recipe for TWO F'ed up children to me!

angeleyes16
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:37 PM

God how awful

1-teen-mommy
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:40 PM

how could you do that to your child???? thats terrible...atleast she is tryin to fix it.

MeVinceandBaby
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Quoting 1-teen-mommy:

how could you do that to your child???? thats terrible...atleast she is tryin to fix it.

Yeah, I'm not sure she did it by choice, sounds like she was going through some post-partum stuff and never got help for it.

misssally
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:13 PM

I think she got postpartum depression, never got help and she could not bond with her daugther. I could believe it was for some time, but the girl is now 11. I think she should recongnize the problem before. It is very sad.

MissSally
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)