Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Would You Do?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:45 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am married and have 2 children-Madeline-4 and Joseph-21months. I currently work at the daycare that my son attends. I only get paid 8.50/hr, but I get 50%tuition discount for my son. My husband was working the 3rd shift at his job. I do not drive and in the mornings my husband was bringing my son and I to the daycare. We also first dropped off my daughter at her all day(free) preschool.

The problem now is that my husband has to go back and work on the 1st shift at his job. His hrs are 7am-3pm. My hrs are 9:30am-6pm. The daycare opens at 6:30am and my husband had planned to bring my son when they open and then I would go by bus. The bus is 2 minutes from my house and it is literally a 5min bus ride, no big deal.Friday my husband brought my son for the 1st time and I took the bus. Everything worked out and I thought good this can work.

Later that day(Friday) I got called into the office by my boss who tells me that my son is not allowed to come to daycare at 6:30am because then by a certain time the rooms have too many kids(state ratio 1-4). I explained to them my situation. My boss said why can't Joey come with me on the bus? The assistant director was also there and told me to get a license. And then how can I afford a car making only 8.50/hr(ignorant)? Anyway I told them I could come at 6:30 and they said they need me the hrs I already have. Then they said that they would talk and get back to me. Well, they never got back to me. Now I do not know what to do. I do not know if I should just quit because this is a hassle or if I should suck it up and bring my son on the bus? But it has been liek 20degrees and I feel awful taking him to the bus in that weather. What would u do?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mamakate1981
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:51 PM

bump

strawgirl
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:58 PM

I would not quit if I was you.  jmo I would just take him on the bus with me.  Do you know anyone else that can give you a ride?  Any other workers come in the same time you do?   Family or friends that can give you a ride?

Aislinn
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:01 PM

I cannot tell you what is best for you, but if it were ME, I would take him on the bus with me. Just bundle him up and he will be fine. Fresh air does EVERYBODY good! Good luck, Mama!

cluettgens
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:12 PM

I can understand your feelings on this, as the director's as well. (I used to work in child care too) When you register your child, you said what hours you wanted him to go. THey staff around those hours. When parents drop off or pick up after their scheduled hours, it throws the ratios off. Most states also only allow children to be in day care so many hours a day.

If you need to change your hours due to the weather, talk to your director and let her know that hubby will be dropping off and picking up.

I wouldnt quit your job as its hard to get jobs nowadays.

happy new year 2009toddler boy

angelm2005
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Before even reading what you wrote about your boss, I asked myself "Why didnt you just take him on the bus with you?" I think you should keep your job, how else are you going to get discounted child care like that?

mamakate1981
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 8:46 AM

Yes but it has been in the teens in the mornings. It hurts me to stand out for the bus-imagine his little body.

Quoting angelm2005:

Before even reading what you wrote about your boss, I asked myself "Why didnt you just take him on the bus with you?" I think you should keep your job, how else are you going to get discounted child care like that?

LaNette000
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Looks like they would be willing to understand your situation. At least you're showing up to work and do your job?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)