• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CAN I ASK A SERIOUS QUESTION WITH NO BASHING INVOLVED???

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:11 PM
  • 31 Replies

I saw this clip from 20/20 about breastfeeding older children.  I have to admit I am a little disturbed by it, but at the same time I feel bad for feeling that way.  But seriously ladies when do you think enough is enough?  At what age is too old for a child to be breast fed?  I mean these women are having conversations with their kids about what the milk taste like.  The one woman says she does it when her child needs comfort.  Regardless of the fact that the child is 6 years old.  I don't have anything against mothers who breastfeed.  I breastfed my children.  And I know that in the USA breast are viewed socially as sexual objects, but in other countries and cultures they are simply a source of nourishment for children.  But seriously......how old is too old?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=6551439&page=1 

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shmorris56
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:13 PM

I had to nurse my kid til 3 1/4, it was on the advice of her Dr.  I weaned my other kids by their 2nd birthday.  Past that without extenuating circumstances is just a little too much IMO.  Good luck!!!

alli1204
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:13 PM

for me personally, 1 year is enough.  BUT if a mom want to BF longer than that it's none of my business.  however, if your kid can have a conversation about it.....that's WAY too freakin old.

miss_nevin
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Well 6 is too old.. i would say  no more then 18 months.. around a year its time to stop

AnasMommy7
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:15 PM

I think 12 months, because at this point they are able to handle cow's milk.

Looking to loose weight, work out & have support from other fellow moms? Join my group!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/exercisesupport

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker
a.opat
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:15 PM

imo 18 mo is far old enough any older than that and it just seems wrong to me.JMO

The Opat Clan!

mitty18
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:15 PM

as long as mother and child are both happy and comfortable with it.

I'm a non-vaccinating, Co-sleeping, ERFing, Non-spanking, Baby-wearing, Momma to a preemie and speical needs child whom i love with all my heart soul and mind. 

ErikaM27
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:16 PM

i stopped way before my son was 2 so i think once your child knows how to lift up your shirt and put out your boob that's too much. LOL Just my opinion though I really don't care what other people do with their boobs.

Profile Comments
Kenre
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:19 PM

I think it depends seriously on a lot of things. My niece would have probably starved if she didn't continue to breastfeed until she was 3. All because her dad lost his job, and they had a bit of food, but not enough. She got her nutrients through the breastmilk. She is smart and alive because of it. Now he has a good job, and she has tested out of preschool a year early (she is 3 and a half) and is ready for boarding school next year for the elite. Talk about smart, huh?

I'm a co-sleeping, baby carrying, cloth diapering, early potty training, delayed/selective vaccinating, circumcising, gardening and hunting, just lost my job, animal loving, breastfeeding, no spanking, no screaming, Kazdin Method using, sign language using, book loving, Pagan living Witch, pro-life, meat eating, head strong mommy of a baby boy who is gifted (Sept 25, 07), a step-son with PDD-NOS Autism (Jun 11, 04), due August 5, 2009.
Join Me In These Groups: Pagan & Proud | Natural Nurturing | 2007 Babies | Baby Sign Language | Hard Ass Mommas | Old Fashioned & Anti Mainstream Moms | Step-Parenting | Moms Against Child Sexual Abuse | Caylee Anthony

mom_of_2_in_ny
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:20 PM

I'm sorry, unless it's for medical issues , 6 yrs old, 8 yrs old, that's a bit extreme.  IMO.

Blinkie Maker

21noahsmama21
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:20 PM

I breastfed until just under 14 months, but would still be if I didn't have to quit.  I had to start a new med that wasn't compatible w/ breastfeeding.  I wanted to BF until my son was 2.  And after that I would put it into a cup for him, as I can remember things from when I was 2 1/2 and I wouldn't want to remember my mom breastfeeding me (she didn't but hypothetically). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)