Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Attention health insurance folks...****updated***

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:14 PM
  • 11 Replies

I need some advice.  I am self employed and do not have insurance.  I really feel I"m having something going on with my thyroid.  i also have an elevated bp and diabetes in the family.  I need to get blood work done, but I'm worried that if I do have it done and I don't have insurance that once I'm diagnosed it will be really pricey to get the insurance.  I need to take care of my health already though.  Can anyone give me some advice, a good health insurance plan that's affordable, etc.?  I don't want to hear "your health is more important that insurance, I already know this...."  :)  Just seeking some advice. 

Thanks!

------------------

Thank you all for your very informative responses.  You have helped answer what I needed to know.  I will prob. look into BCBS, as I have heard good things about them.   Can you tell me what temporary insurance means?  It has an option to buy insurance just for a few months....but what If I'm diagnosed with a condition and the insurance runs out?  Can I just bump up to another level that is permanent with no problems?  Just curious why they offer a temporary insurance....

Thank you so much again!

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2146
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:15 PM

bump

mom22gr8boys
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:17 PM

bump

hlewis
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:18 PM

thank you ladies for the bump :)

jamesjordansmom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:20 PM

I am on medicaid right now but heard BcBS is really good and not so expensive. Sorry not much help

cluettgens
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:21 PM

I am testing right now to get my insurance license. i can tell you that if you have an underlying medical problem, you can get insurance, but they wont pay for anything to do with your current medical condition. I would get insurance before you know what is wrong with you and then go to the dr's cuz then you can say you didnt know you had any issues.

happy new year 2009toddler boy

CharityS
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:06 PM

I work for a surgeon and I have dealt with insurance for awhile, here is my 2 cents. When you are applying for the insurance, if you have NOT seen a Dr for any of your conditions you have NOT been diagnosed. So if I were you I wouldn't mention anything because you would have Pre-existing conditions. You don't want that. When you are looking for the insurance you will be offered several different options such as lower monthly payments with a higher deductible and higher copayments. Higher monthly payments with a higher hospital ded. and lower copayments. you are going to have to go through and see what is going to work best for you. Good luck to you. If you have any questions I will be happy to answer to the best of my ability.

Charity

There was no respect for youth when I was young, and now that I am old there is no respect for age. I missed it coming and going.

mommerbean
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Blue Cross Blue Shield is great insurance, but they will not cover pre-existing conditions.

Trust me they will know if it was pre-existing!  I'd take care of yourself now, because it can take awhile to get the coverage in effect. At the most they exclude pre-existing for 18 months, and whatever you have may not even be a big problem.  The premiums are mostly based on your age.  

mysteriousmom06
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:14 PM

My hubby is self-employed too & I'm a SAHM so I understand where you are coming from. We have major medical insurance instead of traditional insurance. Maybe you could look into that. You would still have to pay for the doctor appointment and the blood work but if it was something expensive your major medical would kick in and you would have your set out of pocket.

Billie_Bush
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:15 PM

it doesnt matter if she had it before she got insurance.. pre existing to the insurance means they wont cover anything that has already been diagnosed....

Quoting mommerbean:

Blue Cross Blue Shieldis great insurance, but they will not cover pre-existing conditions.

Trust me they will know if it was pre-existing!  I'd take care of yourself now, because it can take awhile to get the coverage in effect. At the most they exclude pre-existing for 18 months, and whatever you have may not even be a big problem.  The premiums are mostly based on your age.  

1sttimemommy198
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:17 PM

We have Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, and they are amazing, I think you can get them cheap....they are really really good, we haven't paid for anything out of pocket yet...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)