Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting on whole milk?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:10 PM
  • 7 Replies

Has anyone started giveing whole milk? My daughter had a sip of milk yesterday and went nuts she wouldn't let go of the cup and drank the rest of it. She is on regular formula and has been eating solid food for several months. Just wanted some opinions on this one. I know the "rule" is 1 year but so is eggs and she loved them. Thanks!

Brandy

baby girlNew mommy to a beautiful little girl Cecilia Lorelai born 4-3-08!!

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Mom2LiamNMolly
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I started Liam on a cup of whole milk a day at 10 months. It didn't sit well with his tummy, so we shifted to Silk Soy Milk at 10.5 months... by 13 months he was back on whole milk full time... (we also let him start on eggs at 9 or 10 months)

motherhood-quote21

Stefanie - Mommy to Liam Patrick 07/07 (IUGR) and Molly Kate 06/08 (IUGR, Pre-Natal Stroke, Developmental Delays, and Failure to Thrive) and Wife to Mark since 2/17/2006

LEJOLIE
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:14 PM

i didnyt pay mind to any of them "Rules" w/ my 3. I used my instinct instead . all three started at 10 months and like you they had been eating solids for months before. No problems whatso ever.

thebestbrianne
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Wait it out. It's not going to hurt her to have a sip. I don't know how old she is, but if she's over 9 months you can start her on the Next Step formula. Talk to her doc before you give her milk regularly.

Join me at Non-Religious Mommies!

It's ok to be open-minded!

prestonjohn
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:16 PM

I started switching to whole milk at 11 months so at 12 months he was on straight milk then. i would wait they need the formula, also i have never hard of eggs after a year old,,i only heard not to feed them everyday as babies can't break up the proteins

prestonjohn
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:19 PM

I see your daughter was 8 weeks premature,,with that alone I would def wait as she isn't really 8 months but more around 6 months as far as growth right?

Codysmommy639
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Cody started around 11 mths.  I forgot his bottle at his grandmas, didnt' have the gas to go back and get it. I tried to measure out formula and I freak about that stuff anyways. It has to be perfect and I don't premake bottles either. Just because once its made it starts gathering bactaria but any way. HE started on a sippy and Whole milk, never thought twice about the bottle  and a week from being two and has to drink out of a regular cup

Mezmer
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:23 PM

I gradually started giving my kids milk after 1yo.  I've heard that the reason you wait is because it can be hard for your baby to digest and the possibility of a milk allergy.

When you start eggs it is recommended that they be at least 1yo and you give them the yolk and the white seperate to check for a food allergy.  The iron that is in eggs isn't easily obtained, which is why we give them iron fortified cereals and such.  Hope this helps.

~*~Amanda~*~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)