• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

over active thyroid....i need your help!!!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:26 PM
  • 18 Replies

I was told I had an over active thyroid. Normal levels are 4.67 and mine is a 55.41....that scares me. I have all the symptoms except weight loss. my question is.....when put on medication for this will I GAIN weight? anyone ever had any dealings with that? I can not gain anymore weight! I have 3 children and I need to loose that weight. I am scared what do you ladies know about this?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gabrielsmom2006
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:29 PM

bump

DakotaRose
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:29 PM

My mom has thyroid issues... she did not gain weight until she threw her back out so she couldn't exercise anymore. Ask you doctor about all the pros and cons of the medication he/she puts you on and have them help you with a health plan that will get the weight off and keep it off.. Good luck

bethanyfolsom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:30 PM

so her weight stayed the same until she didnt excerise?

Quoting DakotaRose:

My mom has thyroid issues... she did not gain weight until she threw her back out so she couldn't exercise anymore. Ask you doctor about all the pros and cons of the medication he/she puts you on and have them help you with a health plan that will get the weight off and keep it off.. Good luck

101InfantryWife
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:31 PM

My mom had a hyper active thyroid and had almost the whole thing removed.. the medication she is on has caused her now to be hypo active, and Id say she gained like 50 lbs.. She went from a size 6 to a 16 in about 3 years.

DakotaRose
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Actually, with the program her doctor had put her on she had lost weight and was down to a healthy weight. Then her back went out and poof the program was gone, but she has been put on a new one that enables her to work out again without rehurting her back and she is loosing the weight again. The only downside is her neck, it looks swollen but thats because of the meds she is on.

bethanyfolsom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:34 PM

oh, that is comforting

Quoting 101InfantryWife:

My mom had a hyper active thyroid and had almost the whole thing removed.. the medication she is on has caused her now to be hypo active, and Id say she gained like 50 lbs.. She went from a size 6 to a 16 in about 3 years.

Kat770
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Not to minimize the problems by relating them to my cat, but my dear cat has a hyperactive thyroid, and takes Tapazole daily.  He was too skinny and was having several seizure-like episodes, and the episodes are almost completely gone, and I've beefed his diet up by feeding him a dry food by Fancy Feast that has higher-than-average fat content.  I'm not sure if the medicine has helped him gain weight.  His average weight before his thyroid issues was about 11 pounds and he was 7 pounds when he was sick.  Now he's at about 8.5-8.75 lbs, which isn't too bad considering he is about to turn 13 years old.  It makes me feel better to not see him have those horrible seizure-like episodes.  He would lose his balance and randomly (when he would just be sitting still) fall off of a couch or a table or something and have an episode.

If you do start to gain weight, maybe your doctor can tweak the medicine dosage.

AngelicaRenee
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:35 PM

My sister has graves disease, the medication made her gain a little weight, but that was only because they hadn't yet figured out the correct dosage and it actually made her have an UNDER active thyroid. But my aunt and cousin also have the same thing and they have not gained any weight at all. I wish you the best of luck, I know it's been a lot to deal with for my sister. But she's doing pretty good now that she's on the correct dosage.

101InfantryWife
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Im sorry . I feel so bad for my mom. She is a RN on her feet walking allll day and she eats so healthy.. its not lack of exercize.. Myabe medication.. maybe not having a thyroid.

Quoting bethanyfolsom:

oh, that is comforting

Quoting 101InfantryWife:

sunshine7902000
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:37 PM
my 15 yr old dd has problems with her thyroid. she has been on medication for almost 7 yrs now. she has been gaining weight but the drs say it's not from the meds., that she needs to do a lot of exercise every day and to eat healthy she is trying soo hard to do this but it's not working. i'm sorry you are going though this. i know how hard it is.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)