Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of Fish?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:16 PM
  • 14 Replies

We just got our first 10 gallon fish tank the other day and are gonna get some fish at the end of the week ..what kind of fish are good to get  that don't kick the bucket the next day ?any ideas? i know this might be dumb ? but i was just wondering ..thanx

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prestonjohn
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:18 PM

um cute little guppies they breed like crazy lol,,i had a betta fish for like 2 years,, but you can only have one of those.

andrea_smkns
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Oh whatever you get, get some of those big ugly ones that are like black in color and they stick to the side of the tank. The eat all the nasty stuff in your tank so it keeps it cleaner. Oh and I used to have little froggies, there so cute!

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

JessPynk
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Angel Fish are great to have!  They are pretty black and silver and shiny and they get a decent size.  The veil tail angel fish are beautiful!!

Mommy's Boy  boy mommy

LuvmySFSGT
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:25 PM

I don't recommend goldfish...because they are sturdy...but you will only be able to have goldfish or Koi with them.

Molly's and Platies breed a lot like guppies so stay away from them.

I would recommend some Tetras or Gouramis. I would get no more than 3 or 4 for a 10 gallon tank and then one small Pleco (sucker fish).

Make sure you have a tank heater and it is set at around 78.

andrea_smkns
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Oh and when you go to the pet store most have signs on all the fish that say what fish they get along with and how big of a tank they need. Plus things like how long there life span is. So I would just go in there and read what each one says.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

aleitch
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:27 PM

i would go with angel fish and tetras. and an algae eater (not sure of the real name, lol that's what we always called them!)

mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Ok...

1.) Is there a filter??

2.) Is there a heater?

3.) Did you dechlorinate the water?

4.) Is the tank cycling?

The tank needs to be completely set up and running for no less than one week before adding any fish to the tank. The only fish that you can safely add now is a Betta. The water does need to be dechlorinated as well. If you are going to get Tropical Community fish you will need a filter and heater. The temp needs to be about 76-80 F.

Tropical Community fish- Neons Tetras, Mollies, Platties, Guppies, Danios, cory cats, plecos..These stay small..1"- 18"( plecos).

Semi-aggressive- Nasty little buggers and most of these have special living conditions and these are not suited for a small tank such as a 10 gallon. These include sharks, dragon fish, knifes, barbs

Aggressive- Cichlids... do not put these in a 10 gallon.. they will kill each other very quickly over territory.

Goldfish- Do not put these in a 10.. they are nasty disgusting creatures. They naturally emit ammonia and the toxins will kill each other within days.

When adding fish to your tank, do it slowly.. only 3 per addition with only one addition per week. This will help to keep the ammonia level controllable and not deadly.

I've had fish for over 20 years so let me know if you have any questions.

Claire

KelseyNovy87
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:30 PM

ooh yes! my favorite kind of post! i used to run a pet store. for starter fish, i recommend any kinds tetras and angel fish. both are very hardy. also i do recommend a plecostams a.k.a. algae eater. it's those ugly green/black thinks that stick to the glass and bottom of the tank to eat the scum

Daisypath Vacation Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

northernmommy
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Are you planning on a tropical tank? do you have a heater? If so, i would suggest Neon Tetra's or Zebra Danio's you start out with a couple to make sure that your tank is safe. If you are using tap water you are going to want to us a de-chlorinator and let the water cycle through the filter system for at least 24 hours. DO NOT put Plecostomus (the sucky fish) into a new tank for at least a month. They will die cause algae has not accumulated in the tank yet and that is what they eat. My hubby and i own a pet supply store and we sell fish and that is what we generally recommend. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

babies

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Brandi1999
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:37 PM

I have 3 tanks ! I love mollies. They breed so you always have fish in it and there very colorful. I also have had guppies but they are much more difficult there males eat the young. We have goldfish and rosy reds. A pacu (that I hate) it's very aggressive. Each tank has it's on algae eater. I have bought fish from lots of places and there are no guarantees that a fish will live but like walmart gives the money back or a new fish if the one you bought dies ! They have ghost crabs that a cute and frogs that are great in small tanks.

Here's a picture of my 30 gallon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)