Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When to teach your kid to swim?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:18 PM
  • 24 Replies

I don't know how to swim myself, but I want my son to learn to swim.   Thinking this summer would be a great time for my SO to teach him.   When did you or plan to teach your kids to swim?

baby development

Owner of:   ~Video Momentos~ 

Group Homepage

Admin to:   First Time Mommas!
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JessieOdee
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:21 PM

My son is 5 and I plan on taking him to the "Y" this summer to learn.

lisa9094
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:26 PM

My kids started at 3 and continued to take them for the next three years.

Trishintraining
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Teaching children under the age of four to swim INCREASES the risk of drowning, instead of reducing it.

So I'd say around 5 or 6.

SxyPanamami83
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Im a great swimmer so I sill be taking my daugther and teaching her. Ive had her in the pool sine she was 2 months old. so i cant wait for this summer when she will be a year and get her back in the water

Gabeys_Mommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:30 PM

I'm not sure what age to start teaching them to swim, but my son started swimming at a local wellness center at 6 months. I wanted him to be used to the water so in the future he would be able to learn to swim without any fear of water.

Cakelover_5
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:30 PM

my kids were all in by the time they were 3months old. I was swimming laps by the time I was 2 I started at 2 months.

tippymorgan08
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:31 PM

We're enrolling our son in our local ISR (Infant Swim Resource) program this year. The instructor informed us that she will either begin classes next month (depending on the whether) or March. Our son is 5 months old but we have a pool directly in our backyard and really want him to learn.

I am a Christian, natural birthing, delayed cord clamping, breastfeeding, holistic circumcising, extended rear facing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, baby wearing, selectively vaccinating, Obama supporting, full time working, happily married, Texas momma!
MamiJaAyla
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:32 PM

I learned to swim b/f 3.  My mom taught my brother my brother to swim even b/f he could walk in the bathtub.  However my son is 5 and he doesn't not really know how to swim although he improved somewhat in the fear category.   My DD 3 is almost swimming. 

This summer I hope to put them both in swimming since I can stick him in the group that goes in by themselves and go in the water with DD. (the last 2 summers were imp. b/c I could not go in with both and private lessons were too expensive.)

The earlier they learn they less fear and better I think, but parents need to remember that just b/c they can swim does not mean they do not need to be closely supervised.

Marci81
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Where did you get this information?

Quoting Trishintraining:

Teaching children under the age of four to swim INCREASES the risk of drowning, instead of reducing it.

tippymorgan08
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:37 PM

I'm curious to know the same thing because if it were true, why would programs like ISR have such high success rates and they begin with 6 month old infants?

Quoting Marci81:

Where did you get this information?

Quoting Trishintraining:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)