Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eczema and Milk based formula

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:11 PM
  • 9 Replies

My dd will be 8 weeks wednesday.  She has a couple of pretty good size eczema patches on her face and chest.  My pedi told me to use lamisil on it, I dont want to use athletes foot cream on my babys face.. So I've been doing some research, and alot of websites are saying that its an allergic reaction, possible from her milk based formula.  Any of you women ever had a baby with eczema and fed them milk based formula, then switched to soy and it cleared up?  Thank you ladies

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mom2LiamNMolly
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Molly has Eczema on her face (usually her cheeks by her ears) and we have had the whole gamut of allergy testing on her and tried soy formula... it did not clear it up and she had o milk allergies at all....

What works best for us is California Baby (thats the brand) Calendula Cream... clears her right up and keeps it away!

motherhood-quote21

Stefanie - Mommy to Liam Patrick 07/07 (IUGR) and Molly Kate 06/08 (IUGR, Pre-Natal Stroke, Developmental Delays, and Failure to Thrive) and Wife to Mark since 2/17/2006

Jera725
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:17 PM

oh really, thank you, that helps, cuz she doesnt' spit it up at all, so I dont want to change her formula.  Where do I get this Calendula Cream?

Quoting Mom2LiamNMolly:

Molly has Eczema on her face (usually her cheeks by her ears) and we have had the whole gamut of allergy testing on her and tried soy formula... it did not clear it up and she had o milk allergies at all....

What works best for us is California Baby (thats the brand) Calendula Cream... clears her right up and keeps it away!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
skyes_mom07
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:18 PM

All my daughter ever had was soy formula and she got eczema on her legs the doctor gave me a cream to put on it...i also put aveeno baby lotion on her and it seems to help alot

oweysmom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Our son had it, but we changed his formula for colic and GERD reasons. We didn't switch to soy either, we switched to Alimentum per our doctor's recommendation. I don't know if that helped with his Excema though or if it was us constantly lathering him up with Aquaphor and Eucerin. To this day (he is 2) we still only give him a bath every other day because his skin is so sensitive. :-(

rennez
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:27 PM

DS has ezcema.  We switched him to Soy formula and it got a lot better.  It's never really 100% gone, but now when we give him anything with milk in it (yogurt, cheese, etc.) it definitely flares up.  I don't think he's truly allergic, more sensitive to the lactose.  Good luck, and we were prescribed a really low dose stereoid cream for his face, and it is awesome!

NikkiPhoenix
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Yep.  My son has a protein allergy.  We might have to go on Nutramigen for it.  He is also slow to gain weight and spitting up a lot, along with rashy cheecks, ears, forehead.  A&D works pretty good for him.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus

"If I am not for me, who will be?  If I am for myself alone, what am I?  If not now, when?"  Pirke Avot 1:14

I might not agree with every choice he made, but they were made with true intentions.

Momof19202006
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:41 PM

DD has eczema and we tried Soy -- but no difference.  Our doc told us to just keep the areas lubricated and I'll tell ya -- Cetaphil lotion is awesome!  The pedi also recommended aquaphor.

bushs last day!me want cookie!

mom2ljh
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 11:37 AM

My son projectile vomited on breastmilk and milk or soy based formulas.  He also had a horrible face rash.  Switching to a hypo-allergenic formula (Nutramigen) stopped the vomiting immediately and cleared the rash within a few days.

Amanda~Cloth Diapering, Non-Spanking, Attached Mommy to my little miracle, Landon Joel, born 6 weeks too soon, 6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, coolest kid on the block!

Then                                           Now

oweysmom
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 10:53 AM

We switched to Nutramigen after using Alimentum. They are basically the same formulas. We made the switch because the cost is the same, but we had coupons for the Enfamil brand instead of the Similac brand and we were spending about $75/wk on formula. Our son was unable to keep formula down prior to using either of these formulas. Both are great!

Quoting NikkiPhoenix:

Yep.  My son has a protein allergy.  We might have to go on Nutramigen for it.  He is also slow to gain weight and spitting up a lot, along with rashy cheecks, ears, forehead.  A&D works pretty good for him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)