Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Saving the umbilical cord for baby book?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:26 PM
  • 37 Replies
Our neighbor just brought us dinner and when I was changing the baby's diaper and his umbilical cord fell off. I took it and told DH to throw it away. She seemed really shocked that I was throwing it away and said she kept all her kids cords to put in their baby book. I don't wanna put that nasty thing in his baby book, I couldn't wait for my both of my son's cords to fall off, it's just nasty to look at. Yeah I know its what gave him life or whatever for the past 9 months, but yucky. So did you save your baby's umbilical cord?

toddler boyParker (6-1-07) baby boyColten (1-15-09) 

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BRI32508
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:28 PM

no, i wanted to until i saw it

torijadekylie

Eeewww thats gross.

Mezmer

I don't think I did.  I saved their first curl and that was about it.

~*~Amanda~*~

Sarahb21

No! Thats gross! lol

MissAndrea125
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Hahahaha......... No I didn't save it either!!! I asked DH if he thought I should and he said it was up to me, and I said hell no, maybe her first tooth but not the dried up yucky cord. Ew.

Robbin74
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:29 PM

I saved all my boys cords. My oldest is the coolest. You can still see the bright blue vain in it. He's 16 now.

kaitlynsmom1230
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:30 PM

ewww no...im the same as you...i couldnt wait for it to fall off...yes, it did provide life for her for 9 months, but ultimately I'M the one who provided life for her and I'm still here so I think thats more than enough.

3earthangels
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Yep, all 3 of them. They are a part of their newborn shadowboxes along with hosp tags, first blanket & outfit, hat & booties, & pics with a letter I wrote to them behind all of it.

Are you, a family member, or a friend going through the immigration process? Need information, want support, or just want to learn more about it? Join my group www.cafemom.com/group/theimmigrationprocess to share your story, find helpful information, and people who are going through just what you are.

mamabens
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:31 PM

IMO it's no more "gross" than saving teeth or hair. I did save both of my girls' & will this one too. When we look back through their baby books they are amazed as I explain what it is & what it did for them while they were still inside my belly.

casah4
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Nope. Those things were gross.  lol 

I saw a Dr Phil episode where a mom saved her daughter's cord, put it one of those clear round christmas ornaments, and gave it to her for christmas.  hahaha!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)