Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stay At Home Moms - ? for you

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:47 PM
  • 17 Replies

How long did it take you to get into a routine when you became a SAHM?  I became a SAHM on Jan 4th when my ds was born.  I have an almost 5 year old who goes to pre-school 3 days a week and so far my days are spent watching TV, playing on the computer, taking a nap or straightening up the living room/kitchen so it looks like I did something.   I am having a hard time getting into a routine so I don't waste my days. 

Also this question is directed towards all moms, DS is 3 weeks old today and I am starting to think he has his nights and days switched around.  He pretty much sleeps all day long and then will wake up when I go to put him in his bed.  I know infants sleep a lot but I would prefer if he was awake during the day and slept more at night.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to keep him awake during the day.  Sometimes the only way to get him to sleep at night is to hold him tightly and rock him to sleep or to have him sleep with me which I don't want to do because I am scared I will roll on top of him or he will get used to it and become a co-sleeper (which I don't want).  DD was never like this when she was a baby, she was an excellent sleeper.

JEN
baby development

babies
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jlm2676
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:52 PM

bump

JEN
baby development

babies
barfydoogin
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:53 PM

When my dd was who is now 5 years old was first born she had her days and nights mixed up.  Her pedi told me to keep her up as much as I could during the day.  He said to let her take short naps no longer than two hours at a time and then wake her and play with her.  It took about a week, but she finally got them turned back around and started sleeping through the night.  Once you do that you will have plenty to do that you will be trying to get the housework done  while the baby is sleeping.  Good Luck

AbbyTomsmom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Haha, that is a good one!  I am 3 1/2 years into being a sahm and still don't have a routine together.  I can't get or keep the house clean and can't get my monsters into a routine other than bedtime.  I am still trying though. 

JOIN MY NEW GROUP SHIFTWORK.  FOR  SHIFTWORKERS AND WIFES OF SHIFTWORKERS

BingsMommy
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Well, since you said ALL MOMS.  I got laid off on Dec 16th, 2008.  I have a 11 year old daughter, I still don't have a routine. I am bored most of the time, I do clean to make it look like I did something.  I look for jobs, I watch the news and scrapbook or make cards.

jlm2676
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Ohh that is not very encouraging!!

Quoting AbbyTomsmom:

Haha, that is a good one!  I am 3 1/2 years into being a sahm and still don't have a routine together.  I can't get or keep the house clean and can't get my monsters into a routine other than bedtime.  I am still trying though. 

JEN
baby development

babies
JMVITT
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:00 PM

It will take some time getting used to, I didn't really know what to do either.  I spent a lot of time going to see people, having people over, cleaning, and most of all taking care of my son.  He was a bit of a handful and I had to give him almost constant attention.  Once he grew out of it I just spent a lot of time doing me activities.  I used to do a lot of jigsaw puzzles which I should do more often now a days rather than play online, lol.  Anyway, hope that helps.

As for the nights and days, thats something they usually figure out on their own.  I was told to keep the room light during the day and keep it dark at night, which worked like a charm with my second one.  She had them turned around by her 3rd week.  Hope this helps and congrats on your new addition!

Anawan
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:01 PM

My DD is 16 months and I'm still wondering when this magical routine thing will come into place!  LOL!

coffeeluvnmom3
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Enjoy sitting on your butt all day taking care of your baby...they grow way too fast...lol

lovinlife0607
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:03 PM

It didn't take me very long to get into a rountine.  You can look up some SAHM help stuff on goodle like flylady.com and it will give ya some idea on how to schedule your day. 

As for ur baby DS, my second dd was the same way and yet my first was an awesome sleeper.  What we did was played with her and talked to her and entertained her with anything during the day and of course we let he take her naps during the day, but after doing that for awhile instead of letting her sleep all day long she finally got her days figured out!  THANK GOODNESS!!!  lol

Good luck and congrats on the new baby!! 

pregnant
toddler girl baby girl w/o binky expecting boy

Need to earn extra income, replace an income or just save money on your everyday products?  Ask me how you can!!

Katilina
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:15 PM

I am a stay at home mom of three, and just had my third on January 1 st. She has had her days and nights mixed up also. My son was the same way it takes a while to get them in the right cycle but it will take some time. Every two to three hours wake him up with a little bit of breastmilk or formula whichever he eats and give me a little to wake him up and give him 2 oz or so so he will want more but be ok with what he had and play with him for awhile. I talk to my lil girl and play with her hands and feet so she doesnt want to fall asleep until she starts screaming then I feed her a little again, then i will delatch her before she starts to fall asleep and play with her again. I keep her up for an hour or two before i let her sleep for a couple hours again. She is getting better at sleeping at night now but it does take time. It took me til my son was almost three months before he slept through the night.

As for the at home mom, I am the same way I play on the computer, clean, reorganize everything, and watch tv. I also have picked up some hobbies like drawing, crafts, and found some nifty things to do with the kids that keep us busy. If you ever want any suggestions I got lots. Good luck hope this helps!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)