• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Let's do a poll

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:01 PM
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: Does using swear words make you a fool?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 50

View Results

Does swearing make you a fool? Sure, we all have the ability to communicate without it. I rarely swear on here or at home. But sometimes I've just had a long and frustrating day and I just don't CARE. I'm irritated, and I choose to let my language be more expressive than usual, including swear words if I so desire.

Plus, wouldn't just about EVERYONE be a fool?

Now, there are situations where I would say yes. Like teenagers who use swear words to be "cool" or "rebel". Stupid things like that. But venting frustration, or just being upset and using the words? No... I wouldn't think so.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zianneaaliyah
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Depends on the context they are used.  If someone is trying to get a point across and use a curse word as a way to put emphasis on their point, then no.  Actually they come off more intelligent to me.  But if every other word that comes out of their mouth is a curse word and they're not expressing an emotion, but are using them as dialog, then yes. 

jillbailey26
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:15 PM

As an adjective, verb, or noun....no, unnecessary.

As an exclamation....yes...lol. 

Sometime something just goes really wrong or really hurts and you let one slip, but to use those words to name someone or something or to highlight what you're already saying, it's not needed.

~Jill~

billssweety
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:25 PM

I think it does, in my opinion a person that has to use foul language to express themselves is uneducated.  I work with firefighters and if they cuss around me I offer them a dictionary to help them improve their vocabulary, they always get the point, and usually apologize.  But again, JMO.....

AmelieH
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:27 PM

i am the biggest fool of them all, then.  Despite my degrees or intelligence level.  Clearly, because I drop the f bomb, I am a fool.  so funny, I love that people care. 

KylieJF
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Using swear words makes me uncomfortable. I don't use them at all. I think once I slipped and said "what the hell" but I was embarrassed. Words like that just aren't part of my vocabulary.

That being said, I don't usually think twice about others saying those words. Admittedly, there are a few that make me very uncomfortable to hear but since I grew up hearing the words, it doesn't shock me.

melamommy24
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Quoting AmelieH:

i am the biggest fool of them all, then.  Despite my degrees or intelligence level.  Clearly, because I drop the f bomb, I am a fool.  so funny, I love that people care. 

Lol, I know. I used to work with police officers, it was a common occurence. Didn't mean they were stupid. But when you spend a majority of your time around stupid people, it gets frustrating. Swearing, IMO, is better than blowing up at someone or physically doing something.

mamabens
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:32 PM

I think so. For as long as I can remember  my dad has said  "Intelligent people can communicate without profanity & solve their differences without violence". I agree with him 1000%

jillbailey26
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:35 PM

That's excellent.

Quoting mamabens:

I think so. For as long as I can remember  my dad has said  "Intelligent people can communicate without profanity & solve their differences without violence". I agree with him 1000%

~Jill~

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:37 PM

I agree with your dad!

Quoting jillbailey26:

That's excellent.

Quoting mamabens:

michelle6_10
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:38 PM

I think it depends on the situation, the person and the frequency.  If you can't speak without cursing I think it makes you look uneducated.  Find another way to express yourself but under certain circumstances I can understand it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)