Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do you think of mental illness?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:26 PM
  • 58 Replies

do you think it is all "in thier head", a "maturity issue", mostly chemical/physical or do you think they can help it they choose not to? Just wondering.please be honest, but not rude.

PLEASE NO DRAMA. *crosses fingers*

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
metalmomma25
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:28 PM

bump

mamapotter
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:29 PM

I think it can be both ways.  Some people don't handle stress well, some people are just drama addicts, some people are just...out there.  But then there's also chemical imbalances and hormonal imbalances than can cause the illness. 

Dr. Phil said that the secret to inner peace was to finish everything you started.  So I looked around the house, finished the book I wanted to read, my old Prozac prescription, the rest of the cheesecake, and a bottle of Jack Daniels.  You wouldn't believe how calm I am now.
ajswenson
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:29 PM

My nephew has been diagnosed as bipolar....but my sister is a horrible discipliner....so I think it only makes it worse....So in answer to your questions...I think it can be a combo.  But there are some people that are just mentally ill....and then there are immature people too.....i think that went in a complete circle!!!!

cutebaby06
by Monica on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:29 PM

I used to work in the Mental Health field,it is a very real illness.I do belive that mental illness gets to be talked about more,cuz it's an illness that is a stigma.

sunshine21pa
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:30 PM

I think almost all cant help it

mommy2-3kiddos
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:31 PM

While I believe that some can fake it, or create it, or be able to control it & choose not to, I don't believe that's usually the case.  I know several 4 year olds with mental problems...I see behaviors that are downright frightening from some of them.  Threatening to kill their parents by shooting them in the face with a shotgun while they slept...yes, he was that specific.  Trying to stab another child in the neck with a pair of scissors.  Having NO REMORSE what so ever for hurting someone else, even lauging as the child is screaming & while their head is bleeding with an injury.  The list goes on & on.  I highly doubt that at such a young age they've figured out how to create it.  JMO...

Magpie75
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Mental Illness is just as real as diabetes.  But I will have to say that some behaviors are learned and can be changed.  Some have learned that they can use their mental illness as an excuse to get away with stuff and no one will call them on it. 

metalmomma25
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:32 PM

what exactly is the stigma and why has it stuck around? I am bipolar, but I am unsure what the exact stigma is since I live a mentally ill patients life.

Quoting cutebaby06:

I used to work in the Mental Health field,it is a very real illness.I do belive that mental illness gets to be talked about more,cuz it's an illness that is a stigma.

horsesgrim
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:33 PM

I think everyone has their own mind some of us function differently then others that is what makes us who we are and the world a unique place.

metalmomma25
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Quoting Magpie75:

Mental Illness is just as real as diabetes.  But I will have to say that some behaviors are learned and can be changed.  Some have learned that they can use their mental illness as an excuse to get away with stuff and no one will call them on it.

but how do you knwo what can be helped and what can't?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)