Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

wanna know what really sucks?!?!?!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:43 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hubby's been unemployed since July.  He has been collecting unemployment since then.  He hasn't been able to find a job yet and we've been looking everywhere.  I went to file his biweekly claim, and come to find out that benefits will only be given for the first week, because it brought his claim amount to zero.  This is just perfect!!!!

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ilovetracilynn
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:47 PM

wow i am in the same boat. my hubby cant even claim unemployment beause prior to being laid off he was out for 1 1/2 cause he got elecrocuted. he has been off since september

Kenre
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:50 PM

I'm with you. I finished my unemployment, found a job, and was fired after a month (but not long enough to get unemployment again). Now I'm sitting here waiting for the weather to even out, since I can't drive, and walk to everywhere around me in this small town to find a job. I know there isn't any, but we need the money. It's a great world right now, huh?

I'm a co-sleeping, baby carrying, cloth diapering, early potty training, delayed/selective vaccinating, circumcising, gardening and hunting, just lost my job, animal loving, breastfeeding, no spanking, no screaming, Kazdin Method using, sign language using, book loving, Pagan living Witch, pro-life, meat eating, head strong mommy of a baby boy who is gifted (Sept 25, 07), a step-son with PDD-NOS Autism (Jun 11, 04), due August 5, 2009.
Join Me In These Groups: Pagan & Proud | Natural Nurturing | 2007 Babies | Baby Sign Language | Hard Ass Mommas | Old Fashioned & Anti Mainstream Moms | Step-Parenting | Moms Against Child Sexual Abuse | Caylee Anthony

kimberlieparks
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Me and hubby have been looking since October! So I know how it feels. We saved 12k before he got out of the Navy adn now we have gone through half! He is thinking about collecting unemployment!

KRISSH
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:56 PM

I HAVE BEEN OUT OF WORK FOR 2 YEARS...LONG BEFOR EVERY ONE ELSE . JUST KEEP ..KEEPEN ON..

GOOD LUCK...

mommy2-3kiddos
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Ok, seriously, don't strike me down here.  I don't mean this at all in a rude or condescending way as I certainly feel for you & anyone else in your position.  But can't he get a job at, I don't know, Walmart?  McDonald's?  A gas station? Anything?  I realize they're not great jobs but something would be better than nothing right?  And if he's already looked there ignore me...I'm just wondering if that's a possibility.

Like I said, please don't take offense!  Just wondering!

jahvarzionmomma
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:05 PM

I am in the same boat ....but i was able to file for an extention and he should be able to to if he just started collecting in july. There was 2 federal laws past last year concerning unemployment and he should be able to file for an extention now which would carry him until june and than another extention after that which would be another 4 to 6 months of benefits. if you have further questions pm me.

kimberlieparks
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Well my hubby is really too proud to work in any of those places. He has his degree and military back ground so he should be able to find something. But he's had one interview since october. Me on the other hand I have had 5 interviews and 3 job offers but they only offered me to be part time and in order for us to move to atlanta. Which its a 3 1/2 hour drive from here. one of use has to get a full time job. This last week I applied to some positions that I more then qualify for so we will see what the out come is.

Quoting mommy2-3kiddos:

Ok, seriously, don't strike me down here.  I don't mean this at all in a rude or condescending way as I certainly feel for you & anyone else in your position.  But can't he get a job at, I don't know, Walmart?  McDonald's?  A gas station? Anything?  I realize they're not great jobs but something would be better than nothing right?  And if he's already looked there ignore me...I'm just wondering if that's a possibility.

raerae1011
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:25 PM

those places won't hire him because he has some charges on his criminal background, nothing like theft or anything.  but there is a dui and an aggravated assault.  he's paid his debt to society and both of these happened almost like 6-7 years ago, but it's still there.  also, walmart is on a hiring freeze with the exception of critcal areas.  i know this because i just started a full time job there on saturday.  everywhere in my area isn't hiring and hasn't been for a long time.

Quoting mommy2-3kiddos:

Mom2LiamNMolly
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:30 PM

What all do your DH's do? I live in a small town but we have quite a few job openings right now...

motherhood-quote21

Stefanie - Mommy to Liam Patrick 07/07 (IUGR) and Molly Kate 06/08 (IUGR, Pre-Natal Stroke, Developmental Delays, and Failure to Thrive) and Wife to Mark since 2/17/2006

mommy2-3kiddos
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:34 PM

See, no offense, but me?  I'd be kicking his butt lol.  I get the pride thing, I really do....but when it comes down to it it doesn't matter to me what you should be able to find, what matters is finding something to support the family.  My dh would have to swallow his pride & get out there...realizing it's not forever.  I'm seriously not bashing your dh at all, I'm sure he's a great guy & has his reasons....but I watched my family as a child become torn apart because of this exact thing so in that situation I just wouldn't be able to handle it I don't think lol...

Could you take the part time job temporarily while continuing to look for a full time position?  Just trying to think of ways to help :-) Best of luck to you both with your job search!!!!

Quoting kimberlieparks:

Well my hubby is really too proud to work in any of those places. He has his degree and military back ground so he should be able to find something. But he's had one interview since october. Me on the other hand I have had 5 interviews and 3 job offers but they only offered me to be part time and in order for us to move to atlanta. Which its a 3 1/2 hour drive from here. one of use has to get a full time job. This last week I applied to some positions that I more then qualify for so we will see what the out come is.

Quoting mommy2-3kiddos:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)