Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CAR SEAT????

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:47 PM
  • 11 Replies

How old or wiegh do your kids need to be to be put in forward facing car seat?? my lil guy weighs 27-30 lbs and is 8 1/2 months old he seems really big for his car seat should i put him in a forward facing car seat??

FYI: Im not putting him in a forward carseat i just wanted to know if i could im new to being a mom hes my first so i wanted to know!!!

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hannahsmommy309
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:49 PM

ok this question is probaby going to cause some drama..just as a warning..

anyways, its 20 lbs AND 1 year. so you need to get your baby out of the carrier and into a convertable seat..one that is like the forward facing seats a toddler can be in but can be rear facing.

tes1proudmomma
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:49 PM

The laws very by state to state...most of them are they have to be over 20lbs AND a year old.

Lilypie Kids birthday TickerLilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday TickerLilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
luv_my_xiya
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:50 PM

i agree...you can get a rear facing carseat that goes to 35 and forward facing til 65 lbs with the 5 point harness

Quoting hannahsmommy309:

ok this question is probaby going to cause some drama..just as a warning..

anyways, its 20 lbs AND 1 year. so you need to get your baby out of the carrier and into a convertable seat..one that is like the forward facing seats a toddler can be in but can be rear facing.

Punkin6498
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Oh No, I know it's tempting, but just for information, PLEASE join the Car Seat Satey Group, the women in there are helpful informative and not judgemental. There are new studies that show the benifits of extended rear facing. The actual law is 20lbs AND 1 year...BOTH. I still have my 15 month old rear facing. If you have any other questions feel free to ask! =)

Andie.
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:54 PM

The bare minimum to forward face is 1 and 20.  Not or.  If you need some recommendations on seats, I can get some for you.  Just need your budget. 

amanda357
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Of course you can put him in a forward facing car seat just keep him facing backwards until he turns one.  Just go get a convertable car seat with a 5 point harness and face your big guy backwards.  That's what I did!

Ilovemyson51508
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:57 PM

i could use some i really dont have a budget just not over 200$ cause i have seen some for  more than that and i think its pointless to spent more than that on a car seat and thanks for the help

Quoting Andie.:

The bare minimum to forward face is 1 and 20.  Not or.  If you need some recommendations on seats, I can get some for you.  Just need your budget. 

Andie.
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Cosco Scenera
35 pound rear-facing weight limit
40 pound forward-facing weight limit
14.5 inch top slots
Four sets of harness slots
Very lightweight
Probably won't be the last harnessed seat you’ll need due to lower top slots and lower weight limit
$40-$50

Safety 1st Uptown
recently discontinued, so harder to find
16 inch top slots
EPP foam (like EPS foam)
Well-padded
Three crotch strap positions
Harder to find in stores
Probably won't be the last harnessed seat you’ll need due to lower top slots and lower weight limit
$65 @ Big Lots

Safety 1st Avenue
is the seat that replaced the Uptown
16 inch top slots
EPP foam (like EPS foam)
Well-padded
$75-$80

Evenflo Triumph Advance
50 pound forward-facing weight limit
17 inch top slots
EPS foam
Infinitely adjustable harness height
Well-padded
Short tether strap may not reach tether anchors in vehicle (can order longer strap from Evenflo)
Wide seat
$130-$180

The First Years True Fit
35 pound rear facing limit
65 pound forward facing limit
17" top slots (if I remember correctly)
EPS foam
Well-padded
Built in seat belt lockoff
Side Impact Protection
Easy to Adjust
$180

I recommend the Evenflo Triumph Advance or True Fit, if you want them to last.  These will last most kids until they are booster age (minimum 4 years and 40 pounds, but maturity is also a factor), as they harness forward facing the longest (50-65lbs).   You can go to Babies R Us and try the seats in your car before buying to make sure they work. 

I strongly recommend rear facing past 1 year until the limit of the seat is reached (either 35 lbs, or less than 1" of hard seat shell above their heads).  It provides optimal protection for your little one's spine.  Here are some sites with info so you can do your own research:
http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/StayRearFacing.aspx

http://www.joelsjourney.org

Hope this helps!  If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Quoting Ilovemyson51508:

i could use some i really dont have a budget just not over 200$ cause i have seen some for  more than that and i think its pointless to spent more than that on a car seat and thanks for the help

Quoting Andie.:

21noahsmama21
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Get a convertible carseat and keep him rearfacing as long as you possibly can.  It is so much safer than forward facing.  The law mandates (in most states) he has to be at least a year old.  My son is 15 months, 28 pounds, and still rearfacing.  Research extended rear facing and extended five point harness.  Safer is always better. 

Ilovemyson51508
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Thank you for the help so far what ive read im keeping him rear facing as long as i can!!!

Quoting Andie.:

Cosco Scenera
14.5 inch top slots
Very lightweight
$40-$50

Safety 1st Uptown
recently discontinued, so harder to find
16 inch top slots
EPP foam (like EPS foam)
Well-padded
Harder to find in stores
$65 @ Big Lots

Safety 1st Avenue
is the seat that replaced the Uptown
16 inch top slots
EPP foam (like EPS foam)
Well-padded
$75-$80

Evenflo Triumph Advance
50 pound forward-facing weight limit
17 inch top slots
EPS foam
Infinitely adjustable harness height
Well-padded
Short tether strap may not reach tether anchors in vehicle (can order longer strap from Evenflo)
Wide seat
$130-$180

The First Years True Fit
35 pound rear facing limit
65 pound forward facing limit
17" top slots (if I remember correctly)
EPS foam
Well-padded
Built in seat belt lockoff
Side Impact Protection
Easy to Adjust
$180

I recommend the Evenflo Triumph Advance or True Fit, if you want them to last.  These will last most kids until they are booster age (minimum 4 years and 40 pounds, but maturity is also a factor), as they harness forward facing the longest (50-65lbs).   You can go to Babies R Us and try the seats in your car before buying to make sure they work. 

I strongly recommend rear facing past 1 year until the limit of the seat is reached (either 35 lbs, or less than 1" of hard seat shell above their heads).  It provides optimal protection for your little one's spine.  Here are some sites with info so you can do your own research:
http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/StayRearFacing.aspx

http://www.joelsjourney.org/index.html

Hope this helps!  If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Quoting Ilovemyson51508:

Quoting Andie.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)