• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you know anything about cats, please help

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:58 PM
  • 29 Replies

Ok, so last night we lost one of our birds, today a fish, and this afternoon I was cleaning the catbox and our 8 year old cat had pooped all over my office/studio and that is so unlike him, well when I was cleaning it up I noticed blood in his fresh stool.  Does anyone know what this could be?  I can't stand to lose another pet right now, especially him, he is my oldest child.  Please help me.   This is Max~! 

JOIN MY NEW GROUP SHIFTWORK.  FOR  SHIFTWORKERS AND WIFES OF SHIFTWORKERS

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ajswenson
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Have you used a new cleaning product?  Such as for the floors??? I don't know, sorry.

kdalton89
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:00 PM

not to be gross but was it bright blood or darker blood??

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:01 PM

He could be dehydrated. He could be having kidney issues, liver issues. There are so many things it COULD be. Check his box again, and see if their is ALWASY blood. He could have just been a bit constipated. Although the behavior doesn't sound good either. Your best bet is to take him to a vet and give a stool sample.

Kairi snowgirl

babygrlsmommy
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I would probably take him to the vet as soon as possible, depending on how much blood you found?  Is it s little, or a lot?  The fact that he is pooping all over the place, doesn't sound good, I think I would take him to the vet just to be safe!

babygirlsiggy1205.gif picture by piink-lem0nade

ttcBABY NUMBER 2

kdalton89
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:03 PM

http://pets.iloveindia.com/cats/blood-in-cat-stool.html here check this out lemme know if it helps!

LaNette000
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Is there anything different in your home, cleaning solutions, or air fresheners? I don't know, but that cat is very pretty! Birds can die easily from too many fumes in the house, sounds like some kind of poisoning. Do you have any plants?

Aimee14
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:05 PM

I honestly don't know what it is, but if it is something that is not normal for him I think a vet check would be good. What kind of cat food do you use? Is he getting enough nutrition? Those cheaper cat food are really not good for the cat. A new plant? Cleanser? It could be so many things. Best bet, The Vet.

Aimee14
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:07 PM

I guess I was assuming that the cat ate the bird and the fish. Is this the case? Do you live in a colder area where you have a furnace running? Not to scare you but carbon monoxide? How do you feel? Headaches? Purple fingernails?

AbbyTomsmom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Ok, to answer all questions in one, no new products or anything like that.  No plants for this reason.  The poop I found was diarehea (Sp) and it was a small amount about the size of a dime and it had a good bit of blood in it.  This may sound crazy and I will probably get bashed but after his mommy died from a vet screw up we don't take our pets anymore.  I never did when I was a kid and they always lived a really long time, then I became and adult and took my pets to the vet and they never lasted very long.  I lost six cats in three years and then we quite taking them and they are all lasting except the bird and the fish we just got from a friend because they were moving far away and couldn't take him. I am going to check out the website now.

AbbyTomsmom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:24 PM

We switch between two kinds of catfood the purina indoor formula and the meow mix indoor formula.  No to the furnace and carbon monoxide we live in a new build in se TX and don't even park the car in the garage. We have spent so much money on the exspensive cat foods like science diet and iams and he won't eat them.  He won't even eat wet cat food or tuna or milk.  My daughter made me buy him some cat's milk at the pet store the other day and he turned his nose up at that.  We poured it out immediately so it isn't that.  He is getting plenty of water and stuff and isn't lathargic.  Oh and no, he didn't eat the bird or the fish.  LOL.

Quoting Aimee14:

I guess I was assuming that the cat ate the bird and the fish. Is this the case? Do you live in a colder area where you have a furnace running? Not to scare you but carbon monoxide? How do you feel? Headaches? Purple fingernails?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)