Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions about pacifiers?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:25 PM
  • 27 Replies

Why do people give there children pacifiers? I mean they don't know what they are and if you never give them one then they will never know that they did not get it and you will not have to wean them off of it. I was just curious I never gave my kids a pacifier and they were fine what is there use?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thebestbrianne
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Babies have an instinct to suck and it's comforting. My daughter never cared for hers.

Join me at Non-Religious Mommies!

It's ok to be open-minded!

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Peace and quiet!! When my DD would fuss to no end, not be hungry, not need a diaper, just over tired fussing, that paci calmed her right down, and knocked her right to sleep. I NEVER had any bed time issues, for she knocked right out as long as she had that paci.

I was worried it would be hard weaning her off of it as a toddler, but she did great. She doesn't fall asleep as easily...LOL She still didn't give me any trouble.

GreysMamaJama
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:28 PM

As a matter of fact the hospital started my son on a SOOTHIE pacifier. I hope you're not gonna start crap because your kid(s) never took one. Just be thankful.

bb18lab
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:28 PM

with my first one we gave a binky to.  with the second we did not because i saw how hard it was to break my first one from it.  but, our regular pediatrician was out when we went for our newborn check up and his partner told us to give it to him to help reduce sids.  i was ticked but i did it anyway.  he still really doesn't care that much for it but it does help calm him down when he's upset.  he turns 1 in march and i plan on having it gone by then so he doesn't get really hooked to it.

baby boytoddler boy Lisa - mom2twoboyz  Check out my blog - http://pinkinahouseofblues.blogspot.com/

Jillayna21
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:29 PM

My girls were given them in the hospital nursery the night they were born.  They were preemies, and on iv's.  The binkies helped them learn the breath, suck, and swallow reflex.  I would have given them to them anyway they are great for them to learn to self soothe, and it made getting rid of the bottle really easy.  Plus they put fewer random things in their mouths because they have their binkies there!  Now getting rid of them may be a struggle they are quite attached to their binkies!

my2kids0506
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Quoting GreysMamaJama:

As a matter of fact the hospital started my son on a SOOTHIE pacifier. I hope you're not gonna start crap because your kid(s) never took one. Just be thankful.

I am not going to start crap I was just curious. I am sure my kids would have taken one but I just did not give them one. I just was curious what the reasons were for them.

NoR_CaL_MoMmY

Because babies have a natural desire to suck, and they need to suck for about 4 hours a day. They cant get that from drinking a bottle, and unless you want a baby on your boob 4 hours a day, a pacifier is the way to go. At least for the first 3 months, after that the need to suck on lessens. My son gave his up on his own around 6 months. Same with my daughter.

Now I dont see why a 2-3 year old needs a pacifer, but for babies it makes sense.

Loving Wife to Matt, Proud Mommy to Kylie & Lucas!

jaxonsmommy07
For my son they gave him one in the NICU and it was to help teach to him suck and to help strengthen his sucking. He was a premie. It just kinds stuck he loved it. Now he is 18 months and it is his "best friend" it is the only object he is truly attached to. We have started limiting it to just before, during and just after bed time and nap time.
krista778
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:31 PM

When my dd would need the comfort of sucking on something and wasn't hungry I would give her one. But when she was 4 months old she woke up one day and wanted nothing more to do with it. I was lucky that way.

thisloveofmine
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:31 PM

eye rolling

I am a 21 year old Atheist, Obama supporting, non-smokin, pro-LIFE, circumsizing, breastfeeding, anti-vaxin, anti CIO, MaryJane supportin, rock-n-roll mama to a very spoiled baby boy and damn proud of it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)