• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i'd really love some help and advice please

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:33 PM
  • 12 Replies

Ok so my little one is 11 months and is VERY VERY VERY clingy on me. My older one was clingy also but at home would do his own thing where my younger son can't stand it when i move around and try to do things. if i am sitting on the couch he will walk all around and play happily but the SECOND i get up to go do something his arms go up and he starts to yell and cry. if i don't pick him up he will grab my legs and pull or he will push me back to get me back to the living room.

i'm at my wits end because i can't get anything done during the day and by the time he goes to sleep at night i don't want to do anything. i really need some help figuring out how to break him of this. when he was younger he would go in the swing or bouncer but he won't sit in either and flips around and squirms out. he has always hated being in the pack and play and so i either have to put him there and let him scream or have him push and pull me and scream or i just give in and hold him and then end up back on the couch watching him play. my husband yells at me for giving in but i can't stand to hear my baby cry but i know i need to start something now to get him to not be so clingy since i'm almost 1/2 through this pregnancy and he'll have to share me with not only house work but another baby.

thank you in advance for any help you can offer and if you can't offer any help please bump. thanks again

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
supermommie1
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:35 PM

bump.. i really need to know as well..

kameronsmommy08
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:36 PM

bump, im having the same problem

NoR_CaL_MoMmY
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Thats a tough one! My daughter was the same way. I just picked her up whenever she fussed. I'm huge on attachement parenting and hated to hear her cry. She still prefers me over anyone, even daddy but its gotten a lot better. She is 2 1/2 though. I bet its just a stage but I'd try to work on it since there will be another baby very soon that will need your attention. My daughter was ok with my son at first but now she shows a lot of jealousy...

I'd just let him fuss for a few minutes at a time and make sure he can always see you. That might ease his fears.

Loving Wife to Matt, Proud Mommy to Kylie & Lucas!

IndyDependent
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Maybe you can start talking to him b4 you leave the room.  Like, honey I'm going to go start dinner, yum, what do you think I'll make for dinner?  Blah, blah....as you get up and walk in the kitchen.  Say, you can come with me but mommy has to fix dinner, do you want to help?  And then grab a toy he likes and take it with you to give him something to do or put him in his highchair in the kitchen but always be happy and tell him he's a good helper, etc.  Maybe you just need to stay chipper and talkative while the transition is going on, give him a piece of cheese (my kids fav) and let him unwrap it (that should take a while).  So you aren't abandoning him (in his eyes).  Good luck!  Everything is a phase.   

icychick04
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:40 PM

bump. im having the same problem with my 13 month old. i cant even do the dishes with out him standing between me and the sink. he grabs my pants and tries to climb up me.

JANEDOE5683
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:41 PM

MY DAUGHTER WAS THE SAME WAY WHEN SHE WAS YOUNGER, AND I WOULD PUT A PILE OF THE BIG LEGOS ON THE FLOOR AND THAT WULD KEEP HER ATTENTION FOR AWHILE.  OR YOU COULD USE ANY SORT OF TOY THAT REQUIRES PLAYING WITH THEM ON THE GROUND.  ALSO, AT 10 MONTHS SHE WAS WALING SO SHE WOULD FOLLOW ME EVERYWHERE I WENT, IT WAS SOOO FUNNY!

AND IF THOSE THINGS DO NOT WORK WITH YOUR LITTLE ONE, THEN I WOULD SUGGEST LETTING HER CRY IT OUT.  I ALSO USED THIS METHOD FOR MY DAUGHTER AND IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM.  AFTER ABOUT A WEEK SHE WOULD NOT CRY ANYMORE AND SHE WOULD BE OKAY IF I WALKED OUT OF THE ROOM OR EVEN AWAY FROM HER.  GOOD LUCK MOMMA

I AM A PROUD VACCINATING, BREAST FED, DISPOSIBLE DIAPERING, FORWARD FACING AT A YEAR, CO-SLEEPING, CIO WHEN NECCESARY, WOULD RATHER TALK THAN SPANK, PRO-CHOICE, ARROGANT, TATTOED, LOVING, PROUD CHRISTIAN, MARRIED TO MY SOALMATE, SPEAKS MY MIND, SUPPORT OBAMA, DEDICATED TO MY FAMILY KIND OF A MOM TO MY BEAUTIFUL, DAMN NEAR PERFECT LITTLE GIRL! 

Laceymom08
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Is he teething?? My daughter is 11 months old as well, and she is teething and she is severely clingy right now. Every time that she is teething, or not feeling well she is extremely clingy. I hope this helps.

starrynight819
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:43 PM

yikes. i sure he knows that a new baby is coming and hes going to have to share. I agree with a PP give him something that a little bit of a challenge to keep him occupied.

heres a bump for you. i'm sure someone else will know how to help

pregnancy

CarterMommy
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:43 PM

i've tried talking to him and he can always see me but he just has to be in my arms. i have put him in the highchair but he's only happy in there with snacks and i don't really want him just eating all day long. i sing to him and try to still play and he just doesn't care :(

thanks though

Quoting IndyDependent:

Maybe you can start talking to him b4 you leave the room.  Like, honey I'm going to go start dinner, yum, what do you think I'll make for dinner?  Blah, blah....as you get up and walk in the kitchen.  Say, you can come with me but mommy has to fix dinner, do you want to help?  And then grab a toy he likes and take it with you to give him something to do or put him in his highchair in the kitchen but always be happy and tell him he's a good helper, etc.  Maybe you just need to stay chipper and talkative while the transition is going on, give him a piece of cheese (my kids fav) and let him unwrap it (that should take a while).  So you aren't abandoning him (in his eyes).  Good luck!  Everything is a phase.   

CarterMommy
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Quoting Laceymom08:

Is he teething?? My daughter is 11 months old as well, and she is teething and she is severely clingy right now. Every time that she is teething, or not feeling well she is extremely clingy. I hope this helps.

yeah he has 5 teeth right now and he's just always been really clingy even when he's not teething. today i don't think he was teething cause he wasn't chewing like he usually does

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)