Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seriously dumbfounded....

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:57 PM
  • 27 Replies

OK I really dont want this to become a drama post but I have a very serious question that I want to ask. 

With all the new talk about racism since obama has been in office and the "no white construction worker" thing came up, I have been reading a lot of  post on here, on you tube, everywhere.  I am a white person but I live in Ca and have ALWAYS ALWAYS been the minority here.  I can in all honesty say that I am not or never have been racist.  So I am actually shocked to see how many people are and mostly shocked to see how many people seem to not like white people.  Am I just living in  a bubble that isn't reality?  I grew up with so many cultures here in Ca that I really dont look at color of skin to determine if i like someone.  So as a white person am I really that hated?  And to the black people do you really still feel like you are treated unequally.  My husband does the hiring and firing at his "construction" company.   He does not base his decision on anything except their "desire" to work, and their skill level.  So I guess I'm just saying first of all if black people are really still discriminated against I'd like to know...and also to say Sorry, that is from the bottom of my heart I can't believe that would still be going on.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amanda357
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:59 PM

What is the "no white construction worker" thing? 

Is it what it sounds like?  No white construction workers?

lovemymarine306
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:03 PM

i seriously can't believe that you wouldn't know of the horrible discrimination of most minority races that still exists.  i have been a victim of it and know many people who have been too. 

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

devasmom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:06 PM

I live in Ca too. I am not white, I am a 4th generation Mexican American (I don't even speak Spanish ...well some bad words and food  only). I don't see racism here, at least I've never experienced it. My family is comprised of many different races (White, Black, Korean, middle eastern, Guamanian, Filipino, you name it we got it) and I love it. I am so proud that my kids have cousins from different cultures. My Dh is 1/2 black, we have white friends, in fact they are our closest friends. I don't think all black people feel they are treated unfairly, but some do, I'm sure and maybe it's because they are. There are racist people everywhere, unfortunately so I am almost positive that at one point or another someone will be treated unfairly because of their race.

of 6of 3 beautiful girls

Mom2LiamNMolly

I lived in SoCal... where whites ARE the minority and yet the other races still screamed discrimination in an effort to get more. I have friends of all colors, religions, and sexual orientation... but I just couldn't stomach SoCal anymore and I moved away from the only home I had ever known...

motherhood-quote21

Stefanie - Mommy to Liam Patrick 07/07 (IUGR) and Molly Kate 06/08 (IUGR, Pre-Natal Stroke, Developmental Delays, and Failure to Thrive) and Wife to Mark since 2/17/2006

Landen05

Quoting lovemymarine306:

i seriously can't believe that you wouldn't know of the horrible discrimination of most minority races that still exists.  i have been a victim of it and know many people who have been too. 

you can't believe it??? Where do you live? IN Ca I just dont think it is very prevelent.

lovemymarine306
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:11 PM

I live in San Diego, CA

Quoting Landen05:

Quoting lovemymarine306:

i seriously can't believe that you wouldn't know of the horrible discrimination of most minority races that still exists. i have been a victim of it and know many people who have been too.

you can't believe it??? Where do you live? IN Ca I just dont think it is very prevelent.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

melissa089
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:15 PM

i live in chicago, which is very diverse but it really gets to me that some people out their are still so racist! my family for one... all the old people are really tradtional... my cuz married a jewish girl and i dont think my family liked that all to much... my other cuz is with a mexican as so am i..... i just dont see whats the big deal..... and wat also pisses me off is how people still use their race when something is going wrong for them... i have hispanic friends who say oh this wouldnt happen if i was white... uh excuse me but MY life isnt all rich and famous...... people  of every race have their problems in life. it has nothing to do with race.

thisloveofmine
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:16 PM

I use to live in south Chicago and there was a lot of racism towards white people. My dad got brutally beaten and robbed and my brother who was in high school at the time got beat up on a daily basis at school or on the way home. I live in Kansas now and there is a TON of racism towards black people here, it's freakin ridculous. I seriously hear ignorant talk about Obama every single day from friends, coworkers, and even my family. DH's friends came over during the election and I caught them actually planning out an assasination. (these were younger guys and loser pot heads who would NEVER seriously do anything, it was just dumb talk) but when I asked them why they didn't like him they straight told me because he's black and I hear that ALL the time.

I am a 21 year old Atheist, Obama supporting, non-smokin, pro-LIFE, circumsizing, breastfeeding, anti-vaxin, anti CIO, MaryJane supportin, rock-n-roll mama to a very spoiled baby boy and damn proud of it!

caitmlo
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:18 PM

I live in San Diego too and IMO it is the biggest melting pot that I have ever lived in. Kind of makes me proud to live here.

Quoting lovemymarine306:

I live in San Diego, CA

Quoting Landen05:

Quoting lovemymarine306:

i seriously can't believe that you wouldn't know of the horrible discrimination of most minority races that still exists. i have been a victim of it and know many people who have been too.

Caitlyn-1-1.gif picture by caitmlodesigns

babbleboxvday.gif picture by caitmlodesigns

babbleboxvdaybanner.png picture by caitmlodesigns

Lovemybabies429
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:22 PM

I have dealt with racism, I am white and went to a mostly all black school when i was younger, so i know how cruel it can get out there, but not everyone is like that, just the ignorant ones!

breastfeedingblowing bubblesteen girl

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)