Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any tips to quit smoking??

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:06 PM
  • 10 Replies

So I'm only 24, but have been a heavy smoker for about ten years.  At my worst I can honestly go through three packs a day.  I know how aweful that is!!!  I've tried quitting cold turkey, and that was a complete disaster.  I've tried the patch, to no avail.  My doc talked about me using Chantix, but my insurance didn't cover it, and I didn't have the over $100 to pay for it.  Also, I heard that it can cause some major, bad side effects that kind-of scare me.  I'm pregnant with twins, and I'm already a little worried about any complications just b/c it's twins... not to mention the other regular side effects of smoking that are weighing on my mind.  I have a toddler, and work full time, so I'm stressed all the time.  I also battle depression and anxiety, so smoking is kind-of like self medication for me; I don't take any meds for either, and obviously don't turn to alcohol (lol).  So I'm almost afraid to quit in that aspect.  Any advice would be greatly appriciated!!

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brooke501
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:10 PM

It sounds simple but you need to get into the mind set of not NEEDING a cig. I quit cold turkey over 10 years ago. Think of your twins and their health. I have an aunt who smoked during both pregnancies and one of my cousins is just fine. The other one does not talk except for grunts. He will never be able to live on his own or care for himself. He is in his 20's now and in a facility. I know you want healthy babies and hopefully the thought of having complications because of smoking is enough to help you cut back and eventually quit all together.

JPORTER2208
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:17 PM

When I found out I was pregnant I quit cold turkey.  I took the pregnancy test and saw that it was positive, then I went and threw my smokes away.  I was too worried about my son.  He was more important to me than cigarettes.  I smoked about a pack a day when I quit.  I know this doesn't help, but I wanted to share with you and let you know it is possible.  Like the previous poster said, just think about those two babies in your belly.  That should really help you with quitting.  I wanted to give my son the best of everything and smoking wasn't part of it...

Good Luck with quitting, or at least cutting back!

Wifey to Robin love 7-15-06  Diagnosed with PCOS in 2006 

Mommy to Charlie baby boy2-2-08                      TTC #2

gypsymama532
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:18 PM

I smoked about 2 packs a day at my worst, first I cut back only smoking part of a ciggarette when I really needed it, then I used niccorette, it's pretty gross, but it will relax you. then I replaced the niccorette with candy, usually gummys.  I think that there's a phone # you can call that will send you free nicorette, I'm sure someone on here will now something about it...

Mandalynn252
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:24 PM

That is tough, but there are some ways you can help yourself out. First figure out the what and the where. What makes you want a smoke and where do you usually smoke. Then why and it sounds like you do it b/c of stress.

The will alone doesn't sound like it'd be enough for you. So if you smoke outside b/c you're stressed out. Find a new activity to do that de-stresses you and takes place in the same place you smoke. If you smoke outside, take a walk instead. And if you get cravings (even though any dentist would kill me for saying so) eat candy. Hard Jolly Rancher candies. After you eat that sweet stuff the last thing in the world you want is a cigerette. It just never tasted right to me.

Best of luck and remember to figure out what, where, and why and you'll have an easier time quitting.

Brooke501
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:35 PM

I think the site for the free nicorette is something like www.nomorebutts.com

Mrs.Grasshopper
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:41 PM

I trully think you have to REALLY want to quit-( don't hate!) But I smoked with my first 3 kids and they are fine but with my last I just didnt want the guilt so i found out I was prego and 2 days later i was smoking my last cig and told myself this WAS MY LAST ONE!!!!  I told hubby the same thing i can still see were we were sitting on the front porch-he smokes too- I told him -well this is my last smoke ever. he said - ya right! I know not very supporting but I really did it and you can to One thing i cant belive is the SMELL it smells awfull!!!!!! My hubby quit in Nov but i recently found out he started chewing instead-ya hes in the dog house!- But im still quit ( I quit in march ) not prego anymore and I only think about the smell when I think about smoking I dont have the urge But what would help me was I would start to think about wanting a smoke and instead of thinking " I want a smoke " I would tell my self " NO< NO< NO< NO< your not smoking!!!"" It helped I wish you the best of luck and I dont know if this will help but i heard once that "the devil has ahold of you at the moment and if you try to quit smoking he will stress you out to the boiling point so that you will give in " ----If your a control freak like me (kinda) that might piss ya off by thinking that your being controled by the devil-, or that little white stick!!

good luck

kayla4507
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:41 PM

try going to sparkspeople.com. It is helping me a little...

MommyJewell
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:46 PM

you first have to get in the mindset of quiting!!!!! if you lose that focus, you will continue to fall of the wagon. i quit cold turkey 8 years ago. i quit when i met mu hubby. our first date. he told me how his ex smoked and how he really didn't like it. i went home that night and gave my ciggys to my cousin and all my lighters to him too. i haven't touched it since. now  especially with my son. i want to be around to see my grand kids and God willing my great-grand kids!!!! of course my mom always said i was stubborn just like dad. once i sent my mind to something that was it!! =0) i like to call it strong willed!! =0)

paxybaby08
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:47 PM

I was a smoker and quit cold turkey when i found out i was pregnant. i had tried many times to quit in the past, but nothing worked for me, I think i just loved it too much, you really have to want to quit.  when it came down to it that was it . so just keep trying, i know its one of the hardest things to do good luck

missamanda86
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Get pregnant...

LOL! thats the only way i quit...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)