Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 3 yr old has CHICKEN POX!! HELP! **UPDATED**

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:17 PM
  • 25 Replies

Ok i noticed some ant bite looking things on my daughters knees and bottom...and then today im un dressing her for a bath and found from her waste all the way down to her feet she has red bumbs all over, and on her toes she has big blisters and blisters on her knees and found one on her hand..i took her to the er and the doctor says she has chicken pox! but my question is, i thought my daughter had got the vaccination for it, so how could she get the chicken pox?? if any one knows anything or has some experience please tell me something!! cause i need some help!!

ALso i have a one year old too, so should i keep her away from chloe, or should i just let her get exposed to it? is she too young???

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chloes_mom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:21 PM

i really need some advice please!!

nanaT2
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Quoting chloes_mom:

Ok i noticed some ant bite looking things on my daughters knees and bottom...and then today im un dressing her for a bath and found from her waste all the way down to her feet she has red bumbs all over, and on her toes she has big blisters and blisters on her knees and found one on her hand..i took her to the er and the doctor says she has chicken pox! but my question is, i thought my daughter had got the vaccination for it, so how could she get the chicken pox?? if any one knows anything or has some experience please tell me something!! cause i need some help!!

Both of my children got chicken pox...Aveeno lotion and Aveeno bath salt, type stuff. Put socks on her hands and tuck them under a long sleeve shirt. Keep her cool tho. When you get hot they itch more. Keep her away from everyone. I don't remember how long tho, it's been too many years. Good luck. My kids took lots of bath's

brandi2781
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:22 PM

I think that they still can get the chicken pox with the shot, but that the cases arent suppose to be as severe.  They best thing you can do for her are luke warm baths with oatmeal and calamine(sp) lotion.  Hope she gets to feeling better soon!!

eandamomma
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:24 PM

The vaccine only lessens the chance of getting it, and possibly gives them a milder case.

Just keep her lubed up with calamine lotion, oatmeal baths, and soft clothing (silky stuff, nothing that catches)

Give hre lots of fluids and whatever she wants to eat, let her.

And if you don't mind coming to Colorado, please bring her to my house and rub her on my boys!!!  :)

House full of boys!
jennymitchell
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Oatmeal baths and Calamine lotion.  The chicken pox vaccine is like most (maybe all I can't remember) vaccines, it is a weakened form of the live virus.  So, just like when you get chicken pox, it is possible to get it again.  You're just less likely.

HopeMamma
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Just because they are vaccinated does not mean they cannot get them it will just be more mild than if they had not been vaccinated.

Try cool baths and calamine lotion although the lotion or cream will sting for a minute it will feel better later. Do not give hot baths it will make her itch more. Keep her out of the sun to and try not to let her sweat or itch.

chloes_mom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:32 PM

i would if i lived there!! thats the thing also, is i also have a one yr old..should i go ahead and expose her to it??

Quoting eandamomma:

The vaccine only lessens the chance of getting it, and possibly gives them a milder case.

Just keep her lubed up with calamine lotion, oatmeal baths, and soft clothing (silky stuff, nothing that catches)

And if you don't mind coming to Colorado, please bring her to my house and rub her on my boys!!!  :)

ashley22ky
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:35 PM

I wouldn't. Your one year old may very well never even get it either way, but I wouldn't expose her to it just in case. I had them when I was little, and they were really bad with me. I had them in my mouth, my eyelids, and....down there. I was 7 years old, and it was horrible. But once you get them one time, you can't get them again supposedly.

Quoting chloes_mom:

i would if i lived there!! thats the thing also, is i also have a one yr old..should i go ahead and expose her to it??

Quoting eandamomma:

nycte
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Keep them seperated as much as possible. Although it is probably already too late. Yes there are flaws in that dumb vaccine. People thought I was being a stupid brat in delaying this vaccine for my daughter.

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
eandamomma
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Yes and this is why:

They still do not know how long the vaccine lasts, hence the reason they instituted a booster 2 years ago.

Chicken pox is worse the older you get, and more deadly.  Adults are at a higher risk of dying from the disease.

It will be way easier to get them both over and done with at once!

I had them when I was 18 months and do not remember a thing.  My sister had them at 13 and STILL remembers how aweful it was.

Quoting chloes_mom:

Quoting eandamomma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)