Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autisim information please....

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:34 PM
  • 15 Replies

Ok I am trying to find information about high functioning autism and information about adults with autisim... my husband doesn't believe me when i tell him his parents should have listend to his peditrician and i am trying to make my point but I can't because everything I find on the internet is about children, and unless it relates directly to adults he is going to disregaurd it....he is also making me angry tonight so it'd make my day to prove him wrong!

Also if you would like to post pictures of your autistic children to prove to my ass of a husband that autistic children do not look mentally challenged, you know like downs syndrom, that would be cool too...he is such a niaev bastard it's sickening sometimes!

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mysweetJBs
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:39 PM

there should definitely be info out there about adult autism.  for high-functioning, try searching Asperger's Syndrome.

anikahaynes1
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Is Aspergers the only form of adult autisim? Maybe I will try searching adult autisim....thanks! :)

Quoting mysweetJBs:

there should definitely be info out there about adult autism.  for high-functioning, try searching Asperger's Syndrome.

skywatcher1973
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:45 PM

BUMP!!

anikahaynes1
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Thanks for the bump, and your son is ADORABLE!!! Awww!!! And i love his red hair!

Quoting skywatcher1973:

BUMP!!

mysweetJBs
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:00 AM

no, Asperger's is not the only form of Autism in Adults.  It is just one type of Autism for any age.  Autism has many different levels of severity - they call that the "Autism Spectrum".  It can be so mild that only close loved ones notice, or can cause learning disabilities - or so intense that the person cannot interact with others at all.  Why do you think your DH has Autism?  I think all of us have one form or another of a learning disorder or personality disorder!!  There are SO many and SO many different levels - we can all fit in to some category if you search hard enough!  So, maybe your DH doesn't want any labels?  And instead, try to find ways to help in the areas he is struggling.....

melissab1998
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:04 AM

You think your husband has autism?   What type of symptoms do you see?  There are many types.   My son has Hyperlexia which is a splinter form of it.    This is the face of autism as I see it every day.  

Proud mom to Jacob and Jonah 

anikahaynes1
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 1:36 AM

AWWW your son is adorable too!! What a great smile!!

My husband gets awkward in social situations when he doesn't know the people around him. He has to have things in certian orders and in certian places and dont dare try and move them. he can't sleep until things are the way HE wants them. ive given up on trying to keep this house orginized or anything b/c he just goes through and changes it, so whats the point? He also gets soooooooooo intently focused on a project that he wont hear anyone or anything around him. he stacks things (like dds toys) from smallest to biggest or biggest to smallest depending on which way they are going, his side of the closest is like overly orgnized....

i am not trying to label him, he'd never see the dr about it anyway...besides if he does have it, he'd be on the high functioning side and only those who really know him would be able to tell...hes smart and focused and all that but he has his quirks...i try to help him, because sometimes his rituals if you will get in the way of our very lack of family time...awesome 18 hour work days!!! but he doesn't want to listen to me, it has to be his way and he cant function or relax until these things are done....blah i just dont know....anyway thanks girls! :)

Quoting melissab1998:

You think your husband has autism?   What type of symptoms do you see?  There are many types.   My son has Hyperlexia which is a splinter form of it.    This is the face of autism as I see it every day.  

mommy2-3kiddos
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 1:47 AM

I'm not sure where to find adult autism info but I'm sure one of these moms can help!  I agree though, I'd be searching Aspergers as it's on the higher functioning end....my ds has Asperger's....he looks no different than anyone else :-)

mitch576
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 5:26 AM

the adults with the child posted above are my parents.

the child is my oldest son devin. he has pdd,nos which is  {pervasive developmental disorder...not otherwise specified.}

meaning? generalised autism.

autism is a pervasive developmental disorder.

asperger's is a form of autism where the  child developes speech on time....and sometimes has "advanced" speech. they speak early and can use big big words early.

pdd,nos is similar to aspergers. they are similar in their "functionality"  and in their "atypical autistic behaviors"

but!!! pdd,nos kids have a speech delay, asperger's kids do not.  THIS IS THE ONLY CLINICAL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO.

THEN YOU HAVE THINGS LIKE "FRAGILE X RETARDATION/AUTISM.....

this is one of the only forms of autism that they can see a clear genetic marker. so when people say " they don't know what causes autism" that is only partially true. they have found genetic autism....under teh fragile x gene.

usually though mom those children have more of a cognitive imparement.

i was told my son would never function. that he was profoundly autistic. they thought he had kanners autism {profound}

he didn't speak until he was close to 4. he was profoundly hyper.... it was a mess.

now he is a very functional.... mainstreamed with teh normal kids.... participating in sports, kind of kid.

he has had years of therapy and will continue with therapy until he is an adult. he gets speech, occupational and social therapy.

he will go to college {if he chooses} marry and have weird pain in the ass kids just like him! lol { again... if he so chooses}

turns out his i.q. is only points from being a clinical genius. he is brilliant!

he is funny, sweet...a true gift. he was the first known student, with autism, in his district to run on the schools cross country team {pictures above}

as for the adults with autism.

my mom has autism......and she also has a bachelors in nursing science and a bachelors in psychology.

what is she like? she is "odd"

she doesn't do well socially. she is "blunt" and "frank"

she is a giving person.

autism is not always such a bad thing you know.

owner of 30andbeyond...jigsaw ribbon...ADMIN of autism, asperger's, pdd awareness

kathleenf.
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Quoting anikahaynes1:

Is Aspergers the only form of adult autisim? Maybe I will try searching adult autisim....thanks! :)

If Asperger's were the only form of adult autism, that would mean autism is a fatal childhood "disease". You die when you turn 18 :).

There's a cafemom list for autism, might want to check it out.

There's tons of autistic adults writing on the web. Definitely more autie adults than kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)