Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cloth Diapers?! **EDIT**

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:44 PM
  • 17 Replies

I am pregnant with #2 and I want to stat cloth diapering because when we move, money is going to be TIGHT. With that said, I hate internet research because I'm afraid to spend money on crap that is CRAP. What are the best kinds to use? That are too expensive, but hold up nicely? I have joine one group but like I said, internet research makes me angry. Lol Thanks for all your opinions and what not.

How many of the all-in-ones/inserts should I have for a newborn? I'm really thinking about getting the bumGenius, because of the 7-35 pound feature. Also, can I use like the gerber cloth dipers [flat fold] for an insert in these? Or should I just buy their inserts?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:50 PM

there are pocket diapers. they are nice. you can stuff with as much or little as you need. i use bumgenius 3.0. they are a one size diaper. they are our night time diapers and we have never had a leak. i also use coolababy. also a one size. i found them off of ebay. i got them for about  5.00 a diaper. they are ok. the inserts aren't that great.

there are also fitteds. i use goodmama, bububebe (off of hyena cart), piddle poddles, and various WAHM's. these are not waterproof and require a cover. you can use wool covers or fleece covers. there are also covers made out of PUL.

or there are prefolds and covers. those are the ones you need to pin or use a snappi with.

i'd go look at hyenacart.com. lots of mom's make great diapers for good prices.

hope this helped a little.

MalibuMommy
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Thank you so much! So in your opinion which are better to use all around or should I have multiple kinds in the house?

Quoting Teeshann:

there are pocket diapers. they are nice. you can stuff with as much or little as you need. i use bumgenius 3.0. they are a one size diaper. they are our night time diapers and we have never had a leak. i also use coolababy. also a one size. i found them off of ebay. i got them for about  5.00 a diaper. they are ok. the inserts aren't that great.

there are also fitteds. i use goodmama, bububebe (off of hyena cart), piddle poddles, and various WAHM's. these are not waterproof and require a cover. you can use wool covers or fleece covers. there are also covers made out of PUL.

or there are prefolds and covers. those are the ones you need to pin or use a snappi with.

i'd go look at hyenacart.com. lots of mom's make great diapers for good prices.

hope this helped a little.

IloveHayden08
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:00 AM

I know that they sell cloth diapers at central market....hopefully there is one close to you

danarae1976
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:06 AM

Personally, I don't think that cloth diapering is any cheaper than using disposiable diapers. 

I had a friend that used them for a while and she spent more money each month than I did and we use huggies. 

And she spent so much time washing and drying the diapers and covers.     You have to strip the cloth diapers every so often and that takes hours and several cycles in the washer. 

squidlife4me
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:10 AM

hey mama

join the cuties wtih cloth booties group on here there are a few mommys that make diapers and are relatively cheap

and check out

http://www.diaperswappers.com/

I love huggabuns .. I bought mine used for 7.00 a diaper..  I also have contour cloth that I use with flannel inserts and fleece soakers.  I bought my whole "stash" for about 200 dollars

I have

16 hugga buns size mediums with hemp inserts

14 contour cloth dipes

14 flannel inserts

12 gerber birdseye flats.. I use these as doublers when I need em

6 snappis .. to keep the cloth diapers on

8 pins

6 fleece soakers

6 NIKKY polywraps

4 pairs of fleece longies with matching shirts

Not bad... I would say!

you can also buy coolababy on ebay.. they are relatively cheap.. good dipes and one sized!

squidlife4me
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:15 AM

I only wash my diapers in one cycle.. on occasion 2.   Sometimes it depends on how you wash them if you have to strip them and how often you strip them

I have twins that I cd.  I use huggies at nightime and when we go out but at home or at familys houses its cd.  I have already saved a TON of money doing this.  We went from 4 cases of huggies every 2 weeks to a case every 3 weeks or so.

BUT if you have to pay for laundry (ie. laundry mat, or coin op at apartments or such) i would say that cloth can be alot more.

Quoting danarae1976:

Personally, I don't think that cloth diapering is any cheaper than using disposiable diapers. 

I had a friend that used them for a while and she spent more money each month than I did and we use huggies. 

And she spent so much time washing and drying the diapers and covers.     You have to strip the cloth diapers every so often and that takes hours and several cycles in the washer. 

burch731
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:20 AM

I use "Kushies by Baby Bebe" & they are great.  There is no special care involved & they hold up forever ~ you wash them normally just like everything else (I also add some vinegar to the cycle to make sure & get out any urine smell that detergent can miss) & these are also one of the few all-in-ones that can be dried in the dryer.  I have tried many different types & I like these the best by far. 

kle
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:27 AM

I used cloth diapers on all five of my kids.  You can buy diaper flannel at fabric stores--a bolt of fiaper flannel will make about 6 dozen diapers.  The baby never outgrows them because you can adjust how you fold them as they grow.  The diaper flannel is about 36" wide--cut the diapers 37" long and use that extra inch for narro hems on the cut ends of the fabric.  I think you can still by plastic pants to put on over the diapers to protect the baby's clothing and bedding. 

I don't understand how people say cloth diapers are more expensive or cost the same as disposables.  You buy them once.  Wash two loads per week.  It takes less money (hot water, electricity, detergent) per week than you'd spend on disposables.  The time you save from a trip to the store would be used folding diapers and folding the diapers would probably take less time. 

Disposables have only been available for about the last 35 years--people managed quite well before then with cloth diapers and they are much friendlier to the environment!

squidlife4me
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 2:27 AM

bumping this up for more suggestions for this mama!

MalibuMommy
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 7:35 AM

Thanks! And thanks to everyone for their input so far. I just realized that I might be spenind more money because I will be living at an apartment complex so it would be a dollor a load to wash. I was planning on Hang Drying so that would be free [Sunny SoCal]. But if I buy enough, I think that I might be able to do about one load every week. We shall see.

Quoting squidlife4me:

bumping this up for more suggestions for this mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)