• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

to anyone who owns or knows something about turtles !!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:58 PM
  • 13 Replies

when you put your finger up to my turtle's tank, he goes to attack it, like it's food. but when he's out running around he doesn't try to.

my question is if i got another turtle would he attack it ? or do turtles not fight each other ?

i just want the love of my life back. is that too much to ask ?!

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CherylS1983
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 4:15 AM

My brother has two turtles that are in the same tank.  I went to visit him and his family this summer in Montana and they did the same thing, they would go after your finger like it was food, but they dont bother each other at all.  I'm not sure if all turtles are like these ones or not....If nothing else, heres a bump for ya!  Good luck!

KatherineM
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 4:17 AM

sounds to me like he is just very teritorial of his home and protecting it. I dont have an answer about if he would fight another turtle

mitch576
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 4:45 AM

typically ?

no turtles don't usually go after their own. red eared sliders are often seen both in captivity.,...and in the wild.... in large groups.  they don't "herd" per say....but you will see many turtles congregating together on  logs or rocks....they are not what you would consider an "antisocial" animal.

your finger is an intruder....another turtle is  potential mate. ...even if he can't mate with it! lol

owner of 30andbeyond...jigsaw ribbon...ADMIN of autism, asperger's, pdd awareness

roxy85
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 4:48 AM

I'll give you a bump! My mom has desert tortoises, but they roam around her yard so I'm not sure...

Proud Army Wife and Former Soldier...

baby development

Night_Roane
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 4:50 AM

if it's a red-eared slider it's not recommended, especially for two males. Maybe you could find someone else who has a turtle and see how it reacts.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
TannersMommy09
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 4:51 AM

Not sure, I used to have tiny turtles that I found in the creek near our home, but I would always bring them home together and I guess they were just used to each other so they never tried to fight. But they would try to attack the glass if my finger was there, lol.

Nursing Bras at Nurtured Family
llmom1921
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 5:05 AM

My baby turtles are the exact opposite........   I bought them together.... (red eared-sliders).....  And they seem to shy away from anyone coming near their tank, and turn to each other for comfort......  (But then they have been together since they were tiny)..........

Blinkie MakerBlinkie Maker
Blinkie MakerBlinkie Maker

soccer-3.gif

vettechmom88
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:17 AM

i got two red earred sliders as rescues who had previously been in seperate tanks, very tiny ones, at that... when i got them i tried to put them together in a really large (125 gal) tank but one was always attacking the other... it only went one way, the other one never started it, but the larger one just wouldnt leave the smaller one alone, so we had to seperate them. and mine dont go after my finger for food, but sometimes they are a little slow, so after i put food in the tank, i put my finger up to the glass and they follow it around until i lead them to the side where the food is  so they see it! they dont try to attack my finger but they do come over and follow it wherever i move it, whether its around or up or all the way down to the bottom... its quite funny. and their tanks are in the dining room, so any time they see us sitting there eating they come to the front of their tanks and start scratching at the glass and begging for scraps!

so as for if they will fight... i guess it just depends on the temperament of the turtles themselves. just like people, i suppose, you get along with some, dont with others...

[video type="youtube" id="3kcmNTXP6zg"]

TattedMommyof2
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:21 AM

We have a red earred slider and it's a male.  They told us not to get another male because they may try to eat eachother.  As far as trying to eat your finger, it probably looks like food.  My turtle opens his mouth and "hisses" at me when I try to get him out of the tank.  They just like to be left alone.

Looking2Adopt1
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 11:23 AM

He's probably just hungry.  It's similar to when fish come to the top of the tank at feeding time.  Could be he's waiting for you to feed him and your finger looks tasty. :)

Turtles can fight with each other, but I've never seen one actually fight.  They usually nip at each others tails, chase each other around the tank, and generally keep each other company.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)