Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

275-Pound Woman Says Hospital Told Her to Use Zoo MRI

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:14 AM
  • 17 Replies

WHAT?!

When a 5-foot, 275-pound woman found out she had a tumor on her spine, she was told by her local hospital to go the zoo to have a MRI because a regular MRI machine could not hold her weight, MyFOXKC.com reported.

Carolyn Ragan told the television station she discovered the tumor two years ago and, after the hospital told her she could not use their MRI machine, a medical assistant said he would help her find a solution.

"So he suggested the Kansas City Zoo," Ragan said. "I thought, I know I'm big, but I'm not as big as an elephant. And my husband got mad."

The University of Kansas Hospital would not comment on Ragan's claim, but said its MRI department does not know of any animal MRI in the Kansas City area that would scan a human.

Ragan's problem was two-fold: She was too heavy for the table and too wide to slide through the opening.

Medical Imaging in Kansas City North, which has both closed and open MRI machines can typically hold up to 440 pounds, but sometimes a person who weighs less can still be out of luck, according to an MRI technician.

"It depends on how they are built a lot of times and what part of their body we're scanning," said technician Sarah Abbott of Medical Imaging. "(The machine) can only be so open before the magnetic field dissipates into the room."

Ragan, who ended up having two surgeries and some paralysis, said she finally found an open MRI machine that held her weight, but it was embarrassing and frustrating.

"They should have machines that fit most everybody," she said.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ~Mahatma Ghandi

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissAndrea125
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:16 AM

I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut on this one.

SugarMama99200
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:16 AM
aluvk4evr
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Quoting MissAndrea125:

First_One_8_18
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:18 AM

I REALLY want to hear the conversation that took place on that suggestion! I don't think there's a way to bring that up anywhere NEAR tactfully or within the standards of 'good bedside manner'!

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ~Mahatma Ghandi

Babylove135

Me too but it's so hard.. I wanna say something so bad!  LMAO

Quoting MissAndrea125:

Come join our group where you can talk about whatever you want with no drama!!     www.cafemom.com/group/BusyB

SeritaG

I guess it was rude of the guy to suggest it, BUT, if she doesn't fit into the regular machine, wtf else does she expect them to do?  If she is concerned about her health, she'd take her ass to the zoo and get the test done.  I know I would.

theboyswon
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:19 AM

Me too!! LOL!

Quoting MissAndrea125:

Jennifer63080
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:19 AM

I saw on that show, what the heck is it called?  something like cedarview or crestview hospital.....the obesity clinic..............they used a  zoo mri for a guy on there, but he was like 500 pounds.

braesmommy06
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:20 AM

wow that is incredibly rude. Poor woman...

First_One_8_18
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:20 AM

rolling on floor Like they said on Chelsea Lately,  the reason for her MRI isn't her only health problem!

Man, I love that show!

Quoting SeritaG:

I guess it was rude of the guy to suggest it, BUT, if she doesn't fit into the regular machine, wtf else does she expect them to do?  If she is concerned about her health, she'd take her ass to the zoo and get the test done.  I know I would.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)