Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone know anything about ticks?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:45 AM
  • 20 Replies

My hubby said he found a tick on our dog tonight. It's the first tick ever found on one of our dogs. (This is the second dog I've owned and the other died of old age never had a tick in 13 years) Our dog is 5 maybe 6 and he's never had a tick, I've never seen a tick in my life, or known anyone to be bitten by them. The dog has short hair thank god because we shave him, and he recently had a bath last week and a shave and nails clipped etc. so I'm sure it wasn't there last week. My husband thinks it was there as of today from his walk. Should I be concerned. He's due to go to the vet, but he's not up to date on his shots etc at the moment, we were waiting for the taxes to come back (next week). I know you can get limes disease from them, but someone we know told us not to be concerned. Can he pass it on to our son if he has it? Ughh.. I hate nature.. I HATE nature!! Any suggestions please help!!

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy_moore23
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:48 AM

I grew up in the country and from what I know the only ticks that will give you lyme disease is a deer tick.  It has like green specs on it's back.  Most of the time though, it's unlikely that your dog will contract it if it hasn't been there long. 

Tired of being ignored??  Come join us at the post killahs!!  You will always get a response on your forums!! big smile mini

http://www.cafemom.com/group/97050

steph2884
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:48 AM

I wouldn't be too concerned. I am a country girl, so I've been around ticks before, and I know it's disgusting, but I've even had them on me. It would make me freak out that they would be on me.... it's gross. As long as your dog isn't covered in ticks and doesn't keep getting ticks on him, I don't think you should be too concerned about it. Just mention it at the next vet appointment.

pregnancy calendar

baby

MissAndrea125
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:49 AM

I don't think you have anything to worry about, I thought all dogs got them every now and then if they go outside. But I live in Tennessee lol, losta outside doggies :)

All of mine have had one or two (except my new one, she's 1 yr old) I didn't take them to the vet, I just pulled it off.

adamjackie
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:51 AM

The pp answered your question. Just wanted to add that I have never heard of limes disease being passed from one to another. I believe the only way to get it is being bit by a tick.

AlexsMomAuburn
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:54 AM

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=62

You should remove the tick asap. They can let go of your dog and bite someone in your family. Just follow the steps in the article and either burn or kill the tick with rubbing alcohol.

s.teph
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:56 AM

Ok, thanks :)

My hubby said he just pulled it out, he said it wasn't red or swollen or anything like that.. it didn't look infected, so he thought it had just happened. My dog is a shih tzu, so he's little .. only 15 pounds or so.. he's an inside dog so that's why I have no experience in this lol. I just worried because my son hangs all over the dog constantly, and I didn't think to stop him until just now.. hours later. I have no idea what color the tick was, I'll ask in the morning. But we're in Florida, and I don't think there's many deer around here lol... but maybe.

mistyray
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:56 AM

you dont have anything to worry about. my dog gets ticks ALL THE TIME!!!  I have even had a few my self (I live in the country and love to hike, fish, and what not) when a tick gets full it will drop off your dog or you. there is a right way to removing them so that there heads dont break off and stay in you or your dog or cat (I cant remember right now as I am to tired to think lol )

Aislinn
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:57 AM

How big was the tick and was in engorged?

cmc76
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:57 AM

The "lime disease ticks" are ridiculously small and brown. I had I think on me last summer and I did freaked out, because i had a small redness around the tick. "Dogs ticks" are different.

Aislinn
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:59 AM

Quoting steph2884:

I wouldn't be too concerned. I am a country girl, so I've been around ticks before, and I know it's disgusting, but I've even had them on me. It would make me freak out that they would be on me.... it's gross. As long as your dog isn't covered in ticks and doesn't keep getting ticks on him, I don't think you should be too concerned about it. Just mention it at the next vet appointment.

Grossest bug EVER! I can deal with spiders, ants, just about any creepy crawling thing. I get a tick and I am screaming like a little girl! lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)