Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler Bathroom Woes.....help from other mommas

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:12 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hi gals!

Okay here's my situation. I'm having like a Super Nanny situation at bedtime with my son. He finds every excuse in the world to get up.

So with pottying he likes to come downstairs once or twice before bed and go in "the big boy potty" only b/c we're up and he wants to push his limits. I put a potty chair in his room and he used to use it, but he thinks it's for babies now (he just turned 3 in October). I have to lock his bathroom, because Lord knows what he would do in there (he shares with an older sister) and get into.

How do you mommas deal with a toddler and a bathroom at night time if your toddler has to go? Is the bathroom open access to the child? That seems scary, b/c I already know he likes to play with all his sister's little things in there and the toilet water too if he could.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MissInvisible
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:51 AM

I know you said he doesn't like the potty chair anymore. But maybe a more "big kid" type chair? That's what we did with the girls also. We were afraid to let them go in the bathroom while we were sleeping. We got one of those wooden potty chairs that had a toilet paper holder on one side and a magazine rack on the other. We put some kids books in the rack and made sure not to give them a whole roll of paper. We would take it off the holder in the bathroom when there was about 1/4 a roll left. Otherwise they would use it ALL! But they liked having the "big girl" potty chair.

jothra
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:56 AM

DS used to think it was fun to be in bed and us getting ready to close the door and magically he has to go potty, again. So we finally just let him sit in there, alone. First night he sat in there for over 20 min. We just sat around the corner and let him have fun sitting there. If he got down, he had to go to bed. He would say he was done, get back into bed, then have to go again, for another 10 min. I would just let him do it, honestly. It will lose it's appeal of getting out of bed and going to the bathroom.

Can you put your daughter's stuff up and out of the way? We have a baby monitor still in his room because of his nightmares and so I know when he wakes up, I can hear the door open and close. DS hasn't wanted to dunk into the toilet, so no help there.

bablondie
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:39 AM

That COULD work. Do you have a website or a pic?

I am not quite sure if my son is just using it as an excuse to keep getting up or coming downstairs. He knows the more he can come downstairs, the more of a chance we'll go ahead and perhaps he could beg us to do more things "read more ,cuddle more, more snacks, water" and so on.

We just took the gate in the hallway down like two weeks ago and he thinks he can roam free. Before the gate was down, he stayed in his room (or we ignored his requests) b/c the gate stopped him and he would HAVE to go in the potty chair.

So maybe I should make the potty chair look good again. But I don't want him to REGRESS b/c we have told him soooo many times that he's a BIG BOY for going in the BIG BOY POTTY. Ugh. parenting toddlers is so hard! LOL.

my dd WAS EASY potty training. She went at 12 months old and was overnight trained. Never once asked to go before bed or mid night...and I didn't worry about her playing in a toilet or anything.

Quoting MissInvisible:

I know you said he doesn't like the potty chair anymore. But maybe a more "big kid" type chair? That's what we did with the girls also. We were afraid to let them go in the bathroom while we were sleeping. We got one of those wooden potty chairs that had a toilet paper holder on one side and a magazine rack on the other. We put some kids books in the rack and made sure not to give them a whole roll of paper. We would take it off the holder in the bathroom when there was about 1/4 a roll left. Otherwise they would use it ALL! But they liked having the "big girl" potty chair.

bablondie
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:42 AM

Yeah, my daughter needs to organize things better. I already have so many things in closets of her that I lock and her bathroom has a shoe holder behind the door she's supposed to be storing things. I think it's near impossible to ask her to take things and put them away after using them every morning in the bathroom. She has no where to store anything left in the house, her li'l bro finds it and gets into everything! I swear she asked for lockers.

If I could get her a tall locker in her bathroom that LOCKS then I'd be stoked. And one in her room, too! For a good deal, I suppose.

Quoting jothra:

DS used to think it was fun to be in bed and us getting ready to close the door and magically he has to go potty, again. So we finally just let him sit in there, alone. First night he sat in there for over 20 min. We just sat around the corner and let him have fun sitting there. If he got down, he had to go to bed. He would say he was done, get back into bed, then have to go again, for another 10 min. I would just let him do it, honestly. It will lose it's appeal of getting out of bed and going to the bathroom.

Can you put your daughter's stuff up and out of the way? We have a baby monitor still in his room because of his nightmares and so I know when he wakes up, I can hear the door open and close. DS hasn't wanted to dunk into the toilet, so no help there.

MissInvisible
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:56 AM

http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/CTGY/Wooden-Potty-Chair.html

They have some at this site. We found ours at a craft fair. I'm sure there are other places that have them too. Some of the ones on the site are pretty neat looking! I googled "pooty chair" and came up with several links.

Quoting bablondie:

I am not quite sure if my son is just using it as an excuse to keep getting up or coming downstairs. He knows the more he can come downstairs, the more of a chance we'll go ahead and perhaps he could beg us to do more things "read more ,cuddle more, more snacks, water" and so on.

We just took the gate in the hallway down like two weeks ago and he thinks he can roam free. Before the gate was down, he stayed in his room (or we ignored his requests) b/c the gate stopped him and he would HAVE to go in the potty chair.

So maybe I should make the potty chair look good again. But I don't want him to REGRESS b/c we have told him soooo many times that he's a BIG BOY for going in the BIG BOY POTTY. Ugh. parenting toddlers is so hard! LOL.

my dd WAS EASY potty training. She went at 12 months old and was overnight trained. Never once asked to go before bed or mid night...and I didn't worry about her playing in a toilet or anything.

Quoting MissInvisible:

bablondie
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:14 AM

Holy cannoli those are expensive...but cute! Lol.

I'm now worried about all this crushed penises I've been hearing about, a totally new concept I have NEVER heard of until a few days ago...I am going to have to change my toilet seats to soft, lightweight seats so the seat cannot fall on him...ouch. I saw this on the Super nanny website. yikes!

Quoting MissInvisible:

They have some at this site. We found ours at a craft fair. I'm sure there are other places that have them too. Some of the ones on the site are pretty neat looking! I googled "pooty chair" and came up with several links.

Quoting bablondie:

Quoting MissInvisible:

Wifeyinlove
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:24 AM

a suggestion for your daughters things in the bathroom would be getting one of those over the toilet shelves that has swinging doors on it and just screw a cheap lock set on it.... that is about the only thing i can think of.... good luck:)

MissInvisible
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:24 AM

lol yeah they are pretty expensive. Ours was around $50. I wouldn't have bought it if I had only had one kiddo! By the time our oldest started training (around 2) we already had another and a third on the way so knowing it would be well used made up for the cost lol. Now that poor chair is on its 6th kid and another lined up next lol. It's been passed on to the nieces.

Quoting bablondie:

Holy cannoli those are expensive...but cute! Lol.

I'm now worried about all this crushed penises I've been hearing about, a totally new concept I have NEVER heard of until a few days ago...I am going to have to change my toilet seats to soft, lightweight seats so the seat cannot fall on him...ouch. I saw this on the Super nanny website. yikes!

Quoting MissInvisible:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)