Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Religion

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:14 AM
  • 30 Replies

Poll

Question: What religion do you follow (and please read question below aswell)

Options:

Atheist

buddhist

christian (please do not ask me to add denominations)

gnostic

Jewish

Muslim

pagan

spiritual

other

agnostic

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 49

View Results

Does your religion teach tolerance/acceptance of other religions? Regardless, do you as a person accept people of other religions? To what degree, would you be friends with someone of another religion and would you let your children have friends that were of a different religion? Would you be mad if your child grew up and married outside of your religion?

Thanks for your time.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jademom07
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:18 AM

I feel that just because someone doesn't believe the same as me, doesn't make them a bad person.  We all have our beliefs, that's what makes us unique.  If my child wants a friend, as long as that friend isn't discourteous and spouting what I would consider filth, then they can be friends with whom they like.  I actually enjoy being around others with different beliefs, it's a learning experience. 

geminishadow79
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:19 AM

I'm a christian.  I can't say that my religion teaches tolerance of other religions.  I personally practice tolerance of other religions.  It doesn't matter to me what you believe.  I have paegan and wiccan friends as well as atheist friends.  We don't sit around and discuss religion because we all believe differance things.  I love all my friends, whatever they want to believe that makes them feel better about life is their personal choice it has nothing to do with me

Brooke501
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Quoting AFWife08:

Does your religion teach tolerance/acceptance of other religions? No but that doesn't mean that I dont have tolerance for them. Regardless, do you as a person accept people of other religions? yes To what degree, would you be friends with someone of another religion Someones religion does not determine how good of a friend they are and would you let your children have friends that were of a different religion? yes Would you be mad if your child grew up and married outside of your religion? No

Thanks for your time.

honey5
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:22 AM

I'm Methodist and the motto is lol    : open hearts, open minds, open doors.

it wouldn't bother me if my children married outside their religion, converted or had friends of a different religion. as long as my babies are happy, I'm happy.

i personally don't care what religion my friends are, that's not why i picked them as friends! I'm not even sure i have any Methodist friends, i have never asked my friends what religion they are.ha ha

geminig3
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:23 AM

I'm spiritual, and believe a mix of lots of different religions. I will never believe in a religion that constantly feels they need to recruit new members.  To me, having faith should be a given, something you feel within and you shouldn't need to push it on to others.

So, I guess I have little tolerance for others in that regard.  However, I don't care what you believe, nor do I think you're wrong for believing.  I hope my kdis have lots of friends of different beliefs so they can learn and make an informed decision on their own.  My beliefs don't have to be theirs.

Intrinsic.Elite
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Take Atheist and Agnostic apart.  They are not the same thing.

Atheist = No religious belief.  Agnostic = Unknown religious belief.

Nanlyn33
by New Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:26 AM

I don't base my friendships on what religion people are.  I am a christian and believe that you should love all people regardless of religion, race, or sexual orientation.  But here's the thing, I don't go to church because I haven't found a church that feels the same way I do.  But I'm still looking!

Jademom07
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:26 AM

Quoting Intrinsic.Elite:

I thought that Atheists did have beliefs?

isra1986
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:27 AM

I am Muslim. And aside from what the media and extremists want people to beleive, it is a very tollerant religion. I have friends of all religions, I dont base my friend ships on religion. And I will raise my daughter the same way. I would be upset if she married another religion though, but Muslims are allowed to marry people that are Muslim, Christian and Jewish (because we all beleive in 1 God)

Intrinsic.Elite
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Atheists dont believe in any higher power.  Nor do they have religious beliefs.  They believe that no religion exists.

Agnostics believe on the other hand that religion is unknown.  They sit in the middle.

Both have different meanings.

Quoting Jademom07:

Quoting Intrinsic.Elite:

I thought that Atheists did have beliefs?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)